Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: It's on wheels!
caber

posted on 16/9/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
It's on wheels!

Another major landmark today first time on wheels!

I think there is a geometry problem with the steering, tons of toe in and positive camber, not sure there is enough adjustment in the TREs to dial this out. Any comments or suggestions?

TIA
Caber Rescued attachment Photo_091606_001.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo_091606_001.jpg

RazMan

posted on 16/9/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly needs a bit of tweaking doesn't it. How about rack extensions for the toe in?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 16/9/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have a fair bit of thread on the rack also I ned to optimise position for bump steer, it looks like it needs to move forward on the brackets and down. It is the upper TREs that worry me they are already well threaded into the upper wishbones and have locknuts. Unless I can get some very thin locknuts!
Caber

bilbo

posted on 16/9/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought - you haven't got the upper wishbones on back to front have you?

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

caber

posted on 16/9/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Doubt it! they are made with the additional offset to get enough caster for self centering!

Caber

RichardK

posted on 16/9/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I understand your concerns, something looks a drift, not sure what though, I am wondering if your top bones are for sierra uprights, I noticed you are using cortina, I personally don't know if there is any difference between the two as far as the position of the transit tre.

One thing is for sure it's put rightable so I wouldn't worry about it, just need some time to figure out whats up.

It's not that long since I had mine on 4 wheels for the first time, great feeling isn't it, unfortuanatly I bought a lathe on ebay ages ago and put it at the front of the garage and the car won't wheel past it bugga

Anyway take care

Regards

Rich

[Edited on 16/9/06 by RichardK]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 16/9/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
They look to be toed in by about 50mm at the moment. If they are book bone dimensions and cortina uprights then they should be ok.
Macbeast

posted on 16/9/06 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a fairly extreme angle on the steering rods. You haven't got the uprights swapped left for right have you ?

Well, maybe not

[Edited on 16/9/06 by Macbeast]

phelpsa

posted on 17/9/06 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
The steering rack mounts are way way way too far up and way way way to far back. Looks like you done it to the book dimensions, which are severely incorrect. I would drill some new holes further down the mouting plate (thats what I had to do).

Adam

David Jenkins

posted on 17/9/06 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Your chassis is VERY high at the front - with the design's dendency to bump-steer the wheels will toe in (but that does seem a lot!).

Lower the suspension until the chassis is around 5.5" off the ground, and then see where your wheels are pointing - I suspect it won't look as bad.

David

Peteff

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
The front shocks look too long or the bottom wishbones too short. It might look different with some weight in the front and the wishbones levelled out a bit though. I agree with the views on the rack mounts.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

caber

posted on 17/9/06 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
OK I moved the rack mounts and reset the tracking. I think the springs are too long and probably not the right rate, They are Zeemaride units that I got second hand but unused from the forum. I also took the ball joints out of the top wishbones and find that they are different dimensions between the centre of the joint and the start of the thread by about 5mm!

I don't really want to buy a new set of shockers but I think I do need to get a new set of springs. The back end is OK but a bit solid, again springs are probably wrong, I think there is also set up to do for the panhard rod.

Caber

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.