Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: front suspension doubts
joolsmi16

posted on 3/10/05 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
front suspension doubts

Hi all, I have a worry about my front suspension setup on my current build it seems that the top wishbone sits at a step angle when the bottom wishbone is level to the ground??

Is this accpetable or will I need to reposition the top wishbone "U" brackets?

I have quickly read through the "suspension and brakes" book and reposition the setup to obtain the top balljoint to sit 25.5/38mm higher than the top "U" bracket, and the centre of the lower wishbone balljoint to be 6.3-16mm lower than its "U" bracket.

Can anyone advise on if any of the above is correct or will I need to start repositioning brackets ect,??

Thanks for any advise. Rescued attachment sus1.JPG
Rescued attachment sus1.JPG

joolsmi16

posted on 3/10/05 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
front suspension doubts

Rescued attachment sus2.JPG
Rescued attachment sus2.JPG

britishtrident

posted on 3/10/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Right as rain thats how the front roll centre height is fixed.

Normally at running ride height the the inner pivot of the lower wishbone should be slightly higher than the lower ball joint. Rescued attachment Lotus_25sa.jpg
Rescued attachment Lotus_25sa.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 3/10/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
That's spot on.

Although it looks "wrong" if, they were both parallel, when you go over a bump, the camber wouldn't change, like it does the way you have it.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 3/10/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Remember, the lower wishbone is parallel when the ball of the balljoint is at the same height as the centreline of the inner bush bolt. Not when the wishbone tube is parallel

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Peteff

posted on 3/10/05 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Screw the top balljoint in as well, you look to have positive camber there although it's hard to see from the angle of the picture.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 7/10/05 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
That's spot on.

Although it looks "wrong" if, they were both parallel, when you go over a bump, the camber wouldn't change, like it does the way you have it.

Pat...

nit picking now, as what you are saying is quite true apart from the reasoning! The wishbones can be parallel and still pull on negative camber in roll, this camber change is derived from the difference in lengths of the top and bottom wishbones, not their angles. The shorter wishbone will move in a tighter arc thus pulling in the upper balljoint as the suspension moves up or down from it's neutral point.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.