Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: go long
Lotusmark2

posted on 28/1/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
go long

can anyone think of any major issues with adding around 16" into the cockpit and another 4" into the engine bay (around 4-6" wider aswell)
ned

posted on 28/1/05 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
are the bigger mcsorley plans no good then?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lotusmark2

posted on 28/1/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
nope even the biggest ones are not even close
To give you an idea even the Viento is not long enough in the cockpit.

[Edited on 28/1/05 by Lotusmark2]

Stu16v

posted on 28/1/05 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
16"???

I've gotta ask: Why? That is a lot of extra legroom. A standard chassis will accomodate 6'+ folk with careful postioning...

A couple of minus points I can think of...
1. I think you will seriously consider extra bracing, and/or 'up' the material spec for a car of these dimensions.
2. It is likely to look well out of proportion.
3. It is going to be very long. If you do need to trailer it, you might struggle finding one the car will actually fit on - lentgh wise, and to a lesser extent, width wise.

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Lotusmark2

posted on 28/1/05 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Main problem is that I am 6ft 8" tall with very long legs and as an American football player I also have a 50" chest

Dale

posted on 28/1/05 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
You will lose a fair bit of the nimbleness of a seven--- I added 4 in the cockpit and 4 in the engine bay and somemore at front to have a narrow rad shroud--not quite sevenish-- I have a 108 inch wheelbase,which I think suits the design I went with but would look a bit silly on a standard seven. Balance is pretty good so far front to back and will end up a bit rear heavy. Extra triangulation on the sides was used and I am going to bring the scuttly back in a curve to the side rail to shorten the cabin look.
btw 245lbs and 6"4

Dale

[Edited on 28/1/05 by Dale]

James

posted on 28/1/05 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotusmark2
Main brobel is that I am 6ft 8" tall with very long legs and as an American football player I also have a 50" chest

Locostbuilders... the land of giants!

For some reason there's a way higher than average height on this forum!

Mark,

As a guide:
I'm 6'3" tall. (short for this forum! )
My cockpit is 10% longer than standard. IIRC that's *about* 6" longer.

I mounted my seat last night. Bearing in mind most of my height is in my legs and the seats are quite thick (Cobra Clubmans) there is atleast 8" of space between the back of the seat and the rear bulkhead.

What I'm saying is- you really don't need to add as much as 16" to the car!

Also, I wouldn't go wider than +4". It just gets too hard sorting bodywork.

HTH,

James

Lotusmark2

posted on 28/1/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just did the old sit against the wall and get measured trick, with my back against the wall it is 59" to the balls of my feet.
Have a compare

James

posted on 28/1/05 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just did the old sit against the wall and get measured trick, with my back against the wall it is 59" to the balls of my feet.
Have a compare

I'm glad you added the "of my feet" to that!

Will compare when I get home.

Anyway (seeing as you're far enough away not to pull my arms off) how come you're playing a batty game like American football when there's proper games like Rugby around?

James

Lotusmark2

posted on 28/1/05 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Played rugby for many years (including the Gloucestershire second team). Just fancied a bit more violence and trust me you get that in American football
Stu16v

posted on 28/1/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Have a compare

Do remember that you should allow for a slight bend in the legs for driving.

I have just measured my legs as you describe...46"! OK, so I have a low centre of gravity. But, I actually shortened my chassis by three inches after sitting in a 'standard' chassis, and not being anywhere near the pedals. My seat is quite a well padded item, which is mounted (seated position) approx three inches from the rear bulkhead. This wasnt my plan; that was to have bare seat shells, but the seats turned up cheap. However, I am still sat comfortably (albeit with fairly bent legs).

So 46"+3"+3"= 53".

At a guesstimate, I reckon an extra 6 - 8" *should* accomodate you, with careful choice of seats, and thought given to the positioning of the pedals, steering wheel, and seat (angling the base/back can help). Making the seat an integral part of the chassis as a lot of cars of this type still do.

Of course, all the above might be sh!te. Have you sat in a Velocity and tried it for size?

chunkielad

posted on 28/1/05 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
What do you Sothern Girls know about rugby? It's Union down there!!!

I've played both League and Union (League professionally) and I assure you League is a harder game. You bunch of Southern Pansies!!!

Anyway after meeting Mark, I can see what he's saying!! I felt like a dwarf at 5'10"!!! I'm 16.5 stone and he made me look positively Ethiopian!!

I'm still not sure those measurements aren't overkill though mate!!

Liam

posted on 28/1/05 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Odd... my 6'7" mate could just about drive my standard car sitting on a custom really thin backed seat, with the pedals adjusted right to the end of the footwells. A plus 6 long and plus 4 wide would give him acres of space! May sound stupid, but, you are meant to bend your knees

Having said that 59" sounds massive! Have you actually sat in a viento then?

Glad i'm a short arse,

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lotusmark2

posted on 28/1/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yep sat in the Viento at Stoneleigh and if you removed the pedal box I fitted fine but not with the pedals in place
Stu16v

posted on 28/1/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hand controls?

Lotusmark2

posted on 28/1/05 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
You'll be suggesting amputation next
DorsetStrider

posted on 28/1/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
OH MY GOD!!!!!

Ok I feel tiny now..... I'm not quite 5'9"!
Pursonally I think it's just selfish of you guys hogging all the height!

Who the f**K tightened this up!

David Jenkins

posted on 28/1/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
My trouble is that I'm too short for my weight...

DJ

albertz

posted on 28/1/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I am 6'5" and can/do fit in a standard chassis with a Baby Cub seat, fair enough i need a tiny Momo flat bottomed wheel.

If i was building again (which the wife tells me i am not) then i would build slightly larger just for the extra comfort. But then i suppose comfort doesn't really come into it too much.

Each to their own and all that, but +16" seems a lot.

dblissett

posted on 28/1/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
pluss 4

i have built a mcsorley 442 i am 6 1 and fit with loads of space behind the seat
my brother inlaw is 6 5" and he fits in with room behind the seats
my seats are cobra clubman do you fit in the seats to start with if so i will measure the leg room with the seat right back
please remember that if you go to wide what back axel or diff will you get thats wide enough i think 46" wide is about the max for a sierra back end
finaly do your feet fit in a standard 13" high chassis or will the extra 2" height of a 442 get your feet in
cheers dave

[Edited on 28/1/05 by dblissett]

Peteff

posted on 28/1/05 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
QE 2 or what?

You'll have to find a different axle for a +6" build and 20" longer overall is going to add complications unless you upgrade some of the tubes and add bracing. Build it, try it, then cut a foot out of it. It's the only way you're going to find out.
Stu, So 46"+3"+3"= 53". Almost .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 28/1/05 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Keep it the MAC sizes and move the rear bulk head rearwards.
krlthms

posted on 29/1/05 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Main problem is that I am 6ft 8" tall with very long legs and as an American football player I also have a 50" chest

Your chest is not a problem since sevenesques are below-the-waist affairs, so no bodywork will get in the way of your upper body. However, you may also want to expand the chassis in the vertical direction, because otherwise you may have problems sliding under the steering wheel/scuttle (a quick release wheel would help). Also, recently someone on this forum mentioned that you could tilt the seat back 20 degrees or so, resulting in more kink at the knees. Apparently this is quite comfortable driving position, and would save some distance.
All this notwithstanding, you want to build a car that you can get out of in in a few seconds in an emergency. This, to mind, is just an important consideration as your comfort while driving normally. Besides, "comfort" is a very relative thing when sevensques are concerned.
Cheers
KT

[Edited on 29/1/05 by krlthms]

Lotusmark2

posted on 29/1/05 at 05:25 AM Reply With Quote
I think I am going to grab some wood this weekend an mock up drivers side cockpit so I can really see what I would need. Can anyone with floor mounted pedals have a measure for me to see how much room I need to allow for them.
Cheers
Mark

posted on 29/1/05 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Here's how I did mine.

I cut a large square hole in the panel on the end of the footwell and mounted a removeable box in it.
On this box I mounted the master cylinders. The clutch required a different depth box to the brake,
hence the step in the back of the box. The back of the pedals, when fully depressed, go into the box.
I gain a couple of inches by doing this, without an increase in chassis length.
They feel OK when I opperate them.

I hope this helps

Paul G Rescued attachment peds 007s.jpg
Rescued attachment peds 007s.jpg

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.