Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: caterham wishbones
skinny

posted on 15/9/04 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
caterham wishbones

i have tried a search but can't find anything - does anyone know how easy it is to fit standard caterham wishbones to a standard book chassis - are the mounting points in approx the same place or would it take a bit of modification?

cheers

if you don't fail, you aren't trying hard enough.

ned

posted on 15/9/04 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
from pics i've seen i think the pickup points ae quite different and would be a lot of work imho..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stressy

posted on 15/9/04 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
The caterham is a totally different car!
There is no relation between them and a locost, as such the wishbones are not interchangable..

WHO DARES SPINS

skinny

posted on 15/9/04 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
cheers

if you don't fail, you aren't trying hard enough.

Peteff

posted on 15/9/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the front mount is in single shear in front of the chassis section. Picture borrowed fron R500 site. Rescued attachment 3b.jpg
Rescued attachment 3b.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

derf

posted on 16/9/04 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how similar the wesfield wishbones are to a caterham, but I made a set of westfield wishbones fit on my locost. The only modification That I am making is to elongate the lower arms about 1 1/2 inch.
chrisf

posted on 17/9/04 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
How?

How did you determine that the wishbones needed to be 1.5" longer?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
derf

posted on 17/9/04 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Once I got the upper arms in place, I made a sleeve that I could extend the wishbones in, and with my high speed level and laser level got to the point where the rotors would basically keep the same camber, +/- .5 degree.

I think it was alot of trial and error, and even more dumb luck. Total process took me 4 weeks, about 65 hours to do for just the passenger side, the drivers side only took me 15 minutes.

[Edited on 17/9/04 by derf]

robinbastd

posted on 17/9/04 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
derf,
You should have done the drivers side first!

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

derf

posted on 20/9/04 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, I wish I would have though of that, If I would have done the drivers side first and it only took me 15 minutes, think about how fast I could have dont the passenger side!!!!

Yeh let the little happy face smile, see if you'll be smiling afer I introduce you to my friend Mr. Louisville Slugger

robinbastd

posted on 20/9/04 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps you should have asked Mr Slugger for some help earlier.
Don't like the smile? Try this then

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

MikeRJ

posted on 20/9/04 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by derf
Once I got the upper arms in place, I made a sleeve that I could extend the wishbones in, and with my high speed level and laser level got to the point where the rotors would basically keep the same camber, +/- .5 degree.

If you set the suspension up so there is no change in camber during bump, then aren't you going to get positive camber during during roll on the compressed side?

derf

posted on 21/9/04 at 03:13 AM Reply With Quote
No because when I set the suspension it is pre set with camber, so when the car rolls, and the camber changes it goes to around 0. The camber should be set at between 3-5 degrees.
derf

posted on 21/9/04 at 03:19 AM Reply With Quote
lower A arm extension
lower A arm extension

front suspension complete
front suspension complete

Oh yeh, here is the final modified westfield lower A arms, The thiner walled tube from the westfield A arms are still almost the entire length of the extension (thicker tube), there is only a small 1.5 inch area in the center that is where I cut.

limy john

posted on 22/9/04 at 02:25 AM Reply With Quote
front alignment

where are you going here, do you know anything about roll center or the relationship between the (upper and lower inboard ends) and the (upper and lower out board ends) of the wishbones, here is the only place you can alter the camber during suspension travel.
moving the upper balljoint backward or forward has an effect on toe as you turn, as a rule of thumb, if you project a line from the center of the top balljoint to the center of the bottom balljoint and then project a line from that through the trackrod end to the rear axle, the left and right side lines must converge at the center of the rear axle on its axial and lateral centerline, now when you turn the steering, this intersection should travel allong the rear axle, when you turn right this intersection should travel to the left and visa versa

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.