Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stands (trestles) for Locost Build
wilkingj

posted on 22/8/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Stands (trestles) for Locost Build

Hi,
Does the Team think, that a pair of Black and Decker Workmates will hold up a Locost?
I mean the 25 year old ones with the cast ally frame, not the wafer thin modern ones. Cos I picked another up at the rubbish tip today for £4. I am thinking of saving making up a trestle, (works out at £50 for the steel alone).

The council recycling cente seems to be my favourite shopping centre. I got an Air / pistol drill, a 4" air angle grinder, and a two motion air polisher for £5 (the lot and all workingafter I fixed them with a drop of WD40) and a 110volt worklamp and extension lead on a drum for £3 last week. Just change the plug and the bulb!!

The wife aint happy cos I keep offering to take her rubbish to the tip!.

I am waiting to see a V8 Rover with a T5 gearbox turn up.. but not seen one there yet.

Geoff

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/8/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
"The wife aint happy cos I keep offering to take her rubbish to the tip!. "

It all depends if you offer to bring her back again!

The workmates will hold the weight of the chassis no problem, but with the engine fitted, may get a bit shakey!!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 22/8/04 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
ditto mark. Do you intend to actually weld a chassis up on it? i suspect it wouldnt be any good for this, unless you can make it very sturdy and flat surfaced.

niceperson709

posted on 23/8/04 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
if you frequwent the tip look out for some(4) 60 litre oil drums which with a couple of pieces of stout timber will easily hold the weight of your car . at about the same hight as your workmates . check out the scrap metal deallers in your area you may find some suitable steel to make tresles I made some out of left over 40mm steel fence posts I'm sure that you could make them for less than 50 pounds .see the pictures below in the second photo you can see the simple tresles I made if you were using square section it would be even easier .
best wishes
iain[pg=]

wilkingj

posted on 23/8/04 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, Its just nice to hear it from someone else (confidence factor)

I was thinking of doing the build on the trestles, as my knees cant take all that low down work. I was thinking of the Engine in as well. However, I could do the engine end first, leave the box in, then take the engine out, and do the rear axle and front suspension, take it off the stands and drop the egine back in.

At least you have given me some Ideas!.. Thanks chaps..

Best Regards

Geoff

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
niceperson709

posted on 23/8/04 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
ment to post this one as well Rescued attachment on the drums1.jpg
Rescued attachment on the drums1.jpg

wilkingj

posted on 23/8/04 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Ohhh Engine stands is a good Idea... no crawling underneath!.. Easy on a Land Rover, not so on a Locost. I am 18 St, and not 30ft tall! ie not thin!

Regards

Geoff

Best Regards
Geoff

DaveFJ

posted on 23/8/04 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
made my trestles out of a couple of 12 foot lengths of 4x2 that some bui8lders had left outside the office, all lonely, over a long weekend.....

I found a nice new home for the poor lonley lumps of wood, and gave them new purpose in life

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

locoboy

posted on 23/8/04 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
made mine out of 4x4 horizontal bits with 4x2 legs and 1 meter high, no sore back/knees for me i hope!

ATB
Locoboy

derf

posted on 23/8/04 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I keep switching between a set of 4 jack stands rated at 2 tons, and 2 aluminum sawhorses. Depending on what I am doing to the car is the height that I hold it at.

I just use my engine hoist to lift the entire car, made a small hook in the center, right under the scuttle.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.