Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What Donor for 3.36/8 LSD?
antsV8

posted on 15/3/04 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
What Donor for 3.36/8 LSD?

Any advice on what Ford donor I can get a 7 inch 3.36/8 LSD from??

If this is a major hastle, what problems would I have in running a Rover V8 with say a 3.62.

Thx

ned

posted on 15/3/04 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
i got a 3.38 out of a 2ltr d reg pinto sierra.

there is a list somewhere of which difs are in which cars, though think mine was outside this list, maybe an odd one out?! for some reason estates rings a bell, but i might be completely wrong!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 15/3/04 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I think the 3.38 comes from an automatic, the manual is 3.92. If you look on the chassis plate, the axle letter gives the ratio

Ratio Code
3.14 M
3.36 A
3.38 U
3.62 V
3.64 3
3.92 D

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/3/04 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you need the codes deciphering, I have the code book Rescued attachment ChassisPlate.JPG
Rescued attachment ChassisPlate.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/3/04 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
PS I blanked out the chassis number incase anyone from SPD are browsing!

jimgiblett

posted on 15/3/04 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Do not trust the vin plate axle codes to be totally reliable as Mr Ford seems to have a bit of a sense of humour in this respect. I know this by experience

LSD was only available on 3.62 and 3.92 LSD (if not 4x4 then only by option). 3.38 were on early (ie carbed) 2.0 autos.
If you want a 3.38 LSD you wil need to buy a 3.62 LSD and a 3.38 open diff (3.38 are getting quite rare nowadays) and put the LSD into the 3.38, either do this yourself if you have the knowledge / equipment, or take to someone like Road & Race transmissions.

IIRC there was one for sale here not too long ago.

Cheers

Jim

antsV8

posted on 16/3/04 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Gents,

Thx for the replies so far.

I had in the back of my mind that a 3.38LSD was probaly verging on Hens Teeth

Rgds
Ant

Simon

posted on 16/3/04 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ant

How far though your build are you? Quite a few V8 builders on here now, all varying sizes and rear suspension setups (me - IRS, Craig1410 - de dion).

Got any pics you can put up?

ATB

Simon

antsV8

posted on 17/3/04 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Simon,

I'm at the parts gathering stage.

A couple of friends has built kit-cars recently, and I've seen the pit-falls they've both come across. Get the kit first, then spend months (lots) waiting for the bank balance to recover before being in a position to afford all the other necessaries.

If I get a stack of parts first, then I should have plenty of work to keep me busy until I have fresh funds for SVA/Wheels/seats/Insurance etc

Rgds

Hellfire

posted on 17/3/04 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
Do not trust the vin plate axle codes to be totally reliable as Mr Ford seems to have a bit of a sense of humour in this respect. I know this by experience

Jim, we can definitely second that one! VIN plate on our donor suggested a ratio of 3.38 according to the axle codes. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. Not complaining........... just reiterating the codes are not always correct

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.