Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: engine mounts
GO

posted on 23/2/04 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
engine mounts

About to start designing my engine mounts...

One thing I've noticed about seven's verses production cars is that the engine mounts on prod cars have the rubbers in a V shape so the the engine nestles down into the V the rubbers make.

However, on sevens, the rubbers tend to be horizontal. Is that just because it doesnt make much different and its easier (less to make).

I would have thought having the mounts in V shape makes it easier to locate the engine, maybe thats the reason in mass production cars??

Any thoughts fellas?

JAG

posted on 23/2/04 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
The Vee shape damps vibrations in more than one plane (not the aircraft or woodwork sort!).

The simple system preferred by kit car types is just that: simple. I guess reduced engine vibration is not a priority for most kit car folk.

Also; because most kit cars are lighter than the original donor car the original engine mounts are usually too hard to effectively remove the vibrations.

Hence little effort is put into this particular feature.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/2/04 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Most production car mounts are really soft, especially the V shaped ones. My engine for one would hit the chassis rails, steering column, exhast mounts stc if it was on sloppy mounts.

I have used landrover mounts, dead cheap, easy to get, easy to mount etc Rescued attachment Engine Mounts.jpg
Rescued attachment Engine Mounts.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 23/2/04 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
i like marks. i made mine from a pair of fiesta rubbers, a few 3mm plates, and a couple of chopped up shockers (for round tube!). Looks CRAP but seems to work ok!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.