Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: To Build or Not to Build???
Daddylonglegs

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
To Build or Not to Build???

The transmission tunnel that is.

I am at the latter stages of the chassis build and am undecided whther or not to add the transmission tunnel yet. Mr McSorley advises (on his site) that it is better to wait until the axle and engine/gearbox are in place so as to be 100% sure of the dimensions.

I had the chassis out in the fresh air yesterday and placed the engine/gearbox in the frame to get an idea of where it sits and am fairly happy with it. I marked up the tubes where diff, gearbox etc sat.

What are the opinions on what to do next....

Do I go ahead and build the tunnel so I can finish welding and paint, or do I wait until the engine/gearbox, and axle are in place???

Cheers.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

cjtheman

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
hi mate
i dry fitted all mine before i made the tunnel just so i knew all would fit and also to be able to make floorpan area as big as poss with the prop and axle in you will be able to gauge this better
hth
cheers
colin

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

mark chandler

posted on 30/12/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Better to dry fit, then make it as tight as possible, any extra room you can win is worth it.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 30/12/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys.

I haven't got my prop done yet because I'm going to get it made to fit. I am working on the premise that the prop will be no wider than the diff output flange so will use a tube of card or similar to give me the run to the gearbox output shaft.

Do you recommend leaving the chassis on the board to do the tunnel or will it be OK off once fully welded?

Cheers.

JB

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/12/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful where you put the tunnel uprights, do not have one coinciding with the end of the box as this is wider at the end Rescued attachment TunnelClearances.JPG
Rescued attachment TunnelClearances.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/12/08 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
This shot may also help Rescued attachment Gearbox Spacing.jpg
Rescued attachment Gearbox Spacing.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Daddylonglegs

posted on 31/12/08 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark. I had made a note of that, I wondered how much 'out-of-line' the geqarbox output shaft and input to the diff is acceptable, I assume that some is OK as the prop has UJs at each end and I don't want to offset the engine too far to one side in the bay.

Good job I am building a +442 really as the diff forces the tunnel over to the right of the car. Still gonna have around 18" floor space though so should be fine

JB

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/12/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
You have to have some angular displacement (!) in the prop so the roller bearing to revolve around the race, if dead inline they will just chatter against the same place on the race surface - they call it brinelling.

Look at the angle of my prop (home made) it has just finished it 4th year on the road with no problems Rescued attachment Underneath.jpg
Rescued attachment Underneath.jpg

Daddylonglegs

posted on 31/12/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks mate. Makes me feel a little better about having the diff invading my (driver's) space!

Looks like your engine is slightly twisted in the frame, or is that my old eyes playing up again ?

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/1/09 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Just the angle of the camera

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/1/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Or my eyes

I tried a dry fit today and to keep the gear stick well back in the cockpit, I placed the gearbox so the rear of the starter housing is just inline with the rear of the cross member 'C', so probably around 1" further back than yours. Do you think this is going to make the front of the tunnel too wide, and would I be better to move it to the same position as yours to give me extra foot room?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.