Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Securing bones
speedyxjs

posted on 21/11/08 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Securing bones

What type of bolts have all you guys used to secure the wishbones at the chassis end?
I have been unable to find anyone who will make some custom shoulder bolts for me (only looked and contacted people on the bay as of yet).
I was thinking about getting some thin walled tube, cutting to right length and putting a standard bolt through with washers on either end.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

blakep82

posted on 21/11/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, was looking at your photos when you were asking about the steering arm hitting the wishbone. whats wrong with normal 1/2" or M12 bolts? what size are the holes in the wishbones? just normal bolts should do the trick i would think.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 21/11/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
bolts are fine 8.8 tensile strength these have a portion of plain shank unthreaded,its sets that are threaded all the way down
i used these

LOL Rescued attachment 4bolts.jpg
Rescued attachment 4bolts.jpg

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

speedyxjs

posted on 21/11/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ My tutor at college gave me that when i asked him lol

speedyxjs

posted on 21/11/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
hmm, was looking at your photos when you were asking about the steering arm hitting the wishbone. whats wrong with normal 1/2" or M12 bolts? what size are the holes in the wishbones? just normal bolts should do the trick i would think.

The top ones are 15mm dia and the bottoms are 20mm. Would normal bolts be ok? I read somewhere that the shoulder bolts are designed for movement of the wishbone.

blakep82

posted on 21/11/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
like thingy up there said (sorry, can't remember his name ) bolts are only threaded some of the way down, set screws are threaded the whole way. get bolts, and you're sorted
they are usually just threaded at the last 1"

[Edited on 21/11/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 21/11/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
like thingy up there said (sorry, can't remember his name ) bolts are only threaded some of the way down, set screws are threaded the whole way. get bolts, and you're sorted
they are usually just threaded at the last 1"

[Edited on 21/11/08 by blakep82]

Oh right. I didnt know that

blakep82

posted on 21/11/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
bolt

set screw

sooooo, if you use 2 bolts per wish bone, in the normal way, that should be fine for you i'd say. 8.8 grade is fine, but these days i'm liking cap head bolts, which are almost all 12.8

mark chandler

posted on 21/11/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I struggled to find any bolts, in the end popped down to the local agricultural suppliers, they have loads of odd ones for tractors etc.

Harper and Edes are on the road from Lewes to Uckfield/heathfield, I bet you go by them all the time, have a trawl through thier boxes.

Regards Mark

D Beddows

posted on 21/11/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, is it just me or is it scary on here sometimes - you're building a car from scratch with a seriously heavy, seriously torquey engine and you don't know the difference between a set screw and a bolt............or were you joking about not knowing that......... hmmmmm

Canada EH!

posted on 21/11/08 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Try your local aircraft repair facility, you want AN spec bolts. To measure length of shoulder required in inches then devide into 1/16" 5/16" dash 5, same for diameter 1/2' bolt dash 8, They also come with 1/2 depth nylocks for areas of little space. Overall length of bolt requires 3 threads showing after nut is tight. If you can't find them in the UK, Aircraft Spruce and Specialty in US, good prices and a great catalogue. P.S. Gets even for us Canucks buying half our stuff from the UK.
IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 22/11/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
oi oi blakey,i'll av you butler, thingies name is wayne

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

blakep82

posted on 22/11/08 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
cor blimey!
sorry fella, i couldn't remember! nearly called you dean!

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/11/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Why make everything so difficult for yourselves, just order the size you want from screwfix and get it next day Rescued attachment Bolt.jpg
Rescued attachment Bolt.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MikeRJ

posted on 22/11/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

The top ones are 15mm dia and the bottoms are 20mm. Would normal bolts be ok? I read somewhere that the shoulder bolts are designed for movement of the wishbone.

20mm! I think you may be better off getting a spacer turned up to fir the 20mm part, with a hole through the middle for a more sensible sized bolt, e.g. M10.

iank

posted on 22/11/08 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using donor wishbones? If you're using anything designed for a 7 then the holes in the wishbone are designed to have a polybush put through them not a bolt.

If using a shoulder bolt you'd need to be using a bearing, you can't just run a plain wishbone tube on one.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

pocket rocket

posted on 22/11/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried BAPP?
Thats where i got all the bolts i needed for my rocket and they were a great price.

http://www.bapp.co.uk/default2.htm

if you give them a call or fax with what you need they will give you a price and post next day...

Good luck, hope this helps

MikeRJ

posted on 22/11/08 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
If using a shoulder bolt you'd need to be using a bearing, you can't just run a plain wishbone tube on one.

I don't think that's his intention. The original bolts look like this:

Wishbone shafts
Wishbone shafts

iank

posted on 22/11/08 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by iank

I don't think that's his intention. The original bolts look like this:

Hope not, but
quote:
I read somewhere that the shoulder bolts are designed for movement of the wishbone.
made me worried.
Maybe a picture of the wishbones in question would help?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 22/11/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
^
Full lock problem
Full lock problem

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.