Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Project pickup basis help
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Project pickup basis help

Possibly a tough one this

What I’m after is the model of a pickup truck, a small one (car size) that has a full length chassis, not like some that just have a half chassis welded on to the front of a car. This being the basis for a cheap rod where the truck body is replaced with something cooler but the registration retained to avoid an SVA. Was going to get a right beater since all I want is the frame and some of the running gear, I have an engine (the v6) & gearbox for it already.

Pick ups not really being my thing, I can’t think of any or what their like underneath.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Myke 2463

posted on 20/11/08 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Lowered P100 sierra with V6 ? Twinn wheel transit axle ? One on the bay last month looked ice cool.
stevebubs

posted on 20/11/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
London Taxi....
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers but I’m sure the P100 is one of those trucks with a half chassis as is a transit flatbed

London taxi is a very good idea though and I hadn’t even thought of that

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 20/11/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Seen a London Taxi pickup at work that had been converted to a pick up. Basically just cut the passenger bit off and welded the rear window behind the driver. Looked pretty cool. If I see it again I'll grab a photo for you.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm well it’s the chassis frame I'm really after as I want to build one of these you see. I was going to do a glassfiber body over a carved foam core, fit the 2.8 v6, the type 9, the wide Lambo wheels, use a camper steering box and column

basically use all the stuff lying all over the garage...

Reading some American rod web sites they use pickups as the base and me doing something similar will exclude the rod from the SVA as I can’t be bothered with the hassle

[Edited on 20/11/08 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment ratrod.JPG
Rescued attachment ratrod.JPG

iank

posted on 20/11/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
If it's just the chassis and it doesn't have to be a pickup what about a 4x4 chassis, easier to get in the UK.

Suzuki SJ, Vitara?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Problem with a 4x4 chassis is that they tend to be leaf springs and the mounting points are such that the axles are difficult to raise sufficiently to make a low car without totally relocating them. Pickups are often lowered right down as customs and are usually at car ride height right from the start.

[Edited on 20/11/08 by Mr Whippy]

nick205

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Couldn't you knock up a simple ladder chassis from 50x50 and 100x50 box section (like most Cobra kits)?

Front end suspension could be a subframe set-up from something like a Sierra with top wishbones added.

Rear end could be a Tranny axle in a locost 5 link style.

Size it for the body you want to fit from the start and away you go.

v8kid

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Top chop screw your eyes up and the taxi looks like a bentley.....

Chop the back off and you have a bentley pick up!!

Well customisers are supposed to use imagination

Rescued attachment images.jpg
Rescued attachment images.jpg

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Couldn't you knock up a simple ladder chassis from 50x50 and 100x50 box section (like most Cobra kits)?

Front end suspension could be a subframe set-up from something like a Sierra with top wishbones added.

Rear end could be a Tranny axle in a locost 5 link style.

Size it for the body you want to fit from the start and away you go.

Yeah but then I'd have to put it through an SVA (mission imposable) rather than it being a rebodied car and keep the original vehicles registration documents...

supose to be a cheap and cheerful, ugly little fun car, want to do it as quick as possible for peanuts

chrisg

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Triumph spitfire/herald?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

nick205

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Bedford Rascal

Nissan Cabstar

Milk Float

wilkingj

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Read the section on the DVLA website called Radically Altered Vehicles.

If you radically alter an existing registered car, it needs to be checked over before being put back on the road.
If you dont retain 8 points worth of original parts (ok if reconditioned) you loose the registration. It will then be registered as a Q plate. A second hand chassis on ANYTHING will result in a Q plate.

Not too sure if you will need a SVA, but you should check this out before spending any money. ie sort out the legals of what you are trying to do before you start spending the cash.

Shouldnt be a problem, but make sure of what you are getting into before its a problem with the build.

EDIT:

Have a good read here: linky

Check the links off that page, and note the words "Unaltered Chassis / bodyshell"
Otherwise you will end up on a Q plate and need a SVA.

[Edited on 20/11/2008 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Found it...

There we go a Triumph TR6 turns out to be ideal, you can see the engine and gearbox are above the chassis meaning that a later engine change will be very easy. Just need to find one with a rubbish body for a few hundred. All I'd do initially is fit my own rod body then later, once all the registration stuffs been sorted and its on the road, do an engine swap

You can change the body on a chassis and keep the reg as I did on my beach buggy

Thanks for all the help

[Edited on 20/11/08 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment kotsailidis_rolling_chassis2.jpg
Rescued attachment kotsailidis_rolling_chassis2.jpg

iank

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just be careful not to chop off any bits of unused chassis even if they aren't structural, that counts as a major modification under the current interpretation of the rules.

TR6 chassis looks good, but I suspect it will be expensive to get one in good condition.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
well that long bit at the back after the axle might accidentally fall off at some point...

considering my buggy (beetle chassis based) and the fact that I very obviously custom made about half of it out the top of my head and that never once has it been commented on. I don't think I will have any bother getting it through MOTs even if I did remove the back legs. It's all down to the testers and I know some great ones who even get me to help them do the tests which is good fun

I have a few friends who are into Triumphs so I'll have a chat and see what comes up

chrisg

posted on 20/11/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
My next project scores 14 on that points system - no SVA for me!

Cheers

Chris

BTW try TRGB for the chassis, but make sure you're sitting down when you read the price!

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I know a place to go for a bargin just 5 miles from my home, they have loads of old classic project cars, even had a Ferrari 308 GTS in need of some TLC bet they'll have a few

JeffHs

posted on 20/11/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
for a really off the wall suggestion. How about a 2cv!
I'm thinking of converting my pre-locost 2cv 2 seater into a pickup!

[Edited on 20/11/08 by JeffHs]

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
that is a bit tooooo off the wall for me tbo

not to keen on your pickup conversion idea, might look a bit weird

ettore bugatti

posted on 20/11/08 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Why not the chassis of a Marlin roadster?

Some other options:
- Chevy S10 is also not too large.
- Chevy Corvette
- Tata Telcoline?
- Toyota Hilux?
- Suzuki Vitara
- Mitsubishi L300 pickup (or Hyundai H100)
- Reliant Scimitar

Richard Quinn

posted on 20/11/08 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Found it...

There we go a Triumph TR6 turns out to be ideal, you can see the engine and gearbox are above the chassis meaning that a later engine change will be very easy. Just need to find one with a rubbish body for a few hundred...
Good luck! Even lhd imports for resto are fetching a couple of grand.

ettore bugatti

posted on 20/11/08 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Another one that pops in to my head
Ford Ranger or Mazda B2200

owelly

posted on 20/11/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Or a Magenta Tarragon Pic-up?

Already registered and easily chopped about.

Engine big enought to fit almost anything!

It's a shame I have the only one ever built.........

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.