Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Review this Chassis Design?
flak monkey

posted on 20/5/05 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, thats right.

Like I say there are many ways to come to the same conclusion, and often, one is no better than another. Neds first design has a lot of 'uneccessary' tubes (needed in that design, but not in others) which come about due to having the low sides on the chassis....swings and roundabouts....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Clay

posted on 20/5/05 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
what i was saying is that these two structures are equally as rigid, so the scuttle doesnt need to be supported in this design. Am I right?

Clay Marsh

flak monkey

posted on 20/5/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yes

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Clay

posted on 20/5/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
im liking this design for if i have to have lowered sides but im still open to suggestion, this will be my first so help me out with your suggestions everyone.

Clay Marsh

kreb

posted on 20/5/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Well the nice thing about higher sides is more side impact protection. OTOH in a typical locost your elbows would hit the structure, so you'll have to widen things to have the sill that high.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

Clay

posted on 20/5/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kreb
Well the nice thing about higher sides is more side impact protection. OTOH in a typical locost your elbows would hit the structure, so you'll have to widen things to have the sill that high.

This will be considerably wider than a locost, there should be enough room between the seat and the frame for elbow room.

Clay Marsh

cymtriks

posted on 20/5/05 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
better starting point...

If you already have a bodshell then it's a good idea to look at the chassis that originally went under it. If you copy that then the body work wil fit straight on. If you design your own chassis then you will probably need to modify the bodywork.

The GT40 is not too far away in size or concept from the Ultima. Check out the site ultimav12.ca for an excellent set of mods for the Ultima which result in a decent chassis perfectly adequate for your purposes.

Also try Googling for the Lotus 23 chassis and look at the Lotus 23 busa project thread on the middy section of this forum.

The Lotus 23 and the Ultima both have no tunnel down the car centre, they have sill structures instead. The tunnel on your car isn't adding much, you may as well delete it.

A word of warning. nearly all kit car space frames are actually less stiff for their weight than simple X braced ladder frames. A ladder of 4x2-14gauge with a scuttle/footwell structure and a triangulated seat back frame would probably be as good as the frames you've discussed so far.

I've posted some analysis results of spaceframe and ladder frame designs on the locost7.info site under files with the title kitcaranalysisv2.doc

Good luck with the project!

Clay

posted on 28/5/05 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
by lookin at a car that is almost identical to what im trying to do, ive noticed how they went about making the frame accessible to the driver.

for me to reduce my upper side rails to 1 low bar like they did, i would have to have a structural back bone and upper rails connecting the 2 verticals in front of and behind the driver correct?

Looking at this chassis as an engineering student, it seems like it would flex, but it seems to be working well enough here in the real world. Perhaps I should just follow their lead and trust their engineers who certainly have much more experience at this than i do?

Clay Marsh

JoelP

posted on 28/5/05 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
damn it i read the entire thread to see if anyone else had suggested that, and there it is in the last post!

anyways...

the transmission tunnel is a useless waste of space and weight(see edit below). Theres no propshaft to contain, and the strength it adds could be better added in other ways.

if you need to keep the sides low, just add bars to make a roof. This will make it much stronger and still leave space for a door.

The idea about havign a structural member in the door is pretty hard to do, its never gonna close firmly and solidly without a serious amount of work. Unless you would bolt the door shut?!

anyway, that last picture has everything you need for inspiration.

edit:

in the middle picture, you can see how the roof isnt triangulated. In this case it looks more like a roll cage than a fully functional loaded member of the chassis. Note the remnants of the transmission tunnel, modified due to the absence of the prop, how it aims force straight through one node and almost directly into the front suspension pickup point (and visa versa).

[Edited on 28/5/05 by JoelP]

britishtrident

posted on 28/5/05 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
It might be worth looking at the chassis of the the Panther Solo it was based around Sierra bits and I think the design of the rear bay of the chassis was really clever. Rescued attachment Mark_Harlow-Solo_chassis.jpg
Rescued attachment Mark_Harlow-Solo_chassis.jpg

britishtrident

posted on 28/5/05 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
more Solo Rescued attachment Mark_Harlow-Stage_01.jpg
Rescued attachment Mark_Harlow-Stage_01.jpg

Clay

posted on 28/5/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
british trident, no other pictures of the panther solo?

Also, i dont see how the back bone tunnel doesnt help, if it is a rigid back bone it should help the car from bending at the middle like a V if you are looking at the car from a side view. It's gotta offer some support.

Clay Marsh

JoelP

posted on 28/5/05 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
it does, but not much considering its only 6inches high and wide - the same 4 bars triangulated 40 inches apart would be a lot stronger. its to do with the distance a part is from the axis of twist or flew, the 'I' value in FEA, i believe.

[Edited on 28/5/05 by JoelP]

Clay

posted on 28/5/05 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
i figure im going to need every bit of help i can get increasing rigidity at that mid section if im doing to reduce the outer bar to just 1 diagonal like they did. Maybe the backbone can be improved on to be more supportive. But it looks like i will be working on a roof this week.

Clay Marsh

britishtrident

posted on 28/5/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Only 12 Solos were built info is a bit scarce.

On most cars with a backbone the backbone isn't really a main structural member -- even on Lotus road cars it was really just a subframe the body provided a very large slice of the torsional stiffness.

[Edited on 28/5/05 by britishtrident]

Clay

posted on 28/5/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
it looks like the panther solo has almost no side support members, and little to no visable overhead support.

Clay Marsh

tks

posted on 28/5/05 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
mhhhh

i have also some ideas...

building a space frame chasis is also playing the game with space efficienty...

If you see my pic you see the bar going to the top wich on geeting in the car would harm you and i'm pretty sure it will increase the stiffness

also think you can use some 4mm sheet...

it will not help the forces sidewards....but the flex just up and down will be eliminated if used on the good places with good amounts..

TKS

as you see i have now moved the weakest point more forwards.in the chasis....

anyway this is the typical reason wy a cabrio is more expensive to a normal car one..the desing is much different....

if you can live with the tubes arround your head..it will eliminate allot of tubes on the side...(not mentioning the ones for side impact..) Rescued attachment nedchassis1.jpg
Rescued attachment nedchassis1.jpg

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

JoelP

posted on 28/5/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
this is my take of it. obviously its only a 2d thing, wouldnt be a direct switch to 3d. Rescued attachment schmia1.JPG
Rescued attachment schmia1.JPG

tks

posted on 28/5/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
yes

it would be the lihgtes option i have seen

but i stil would add one bar..

from the scuttle backwards...

SPACE USEMENT..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

JoelP

posted on 29/5/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
if you could afford the space, that would be much stronger.

ps, if i ever modify this piccy again, i will add the front and back suspension pickup points in, so i can try to like the two together well. big red dot or something.

[Edited on 29/5/05 by JoelP] Rescued attachment schmia1.JPG
Rescued attachment schmia1.JPG

Liam

posted on 30/5/05 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nice, but I wouldn't like to make it

Keeping the original shape, wouldn't this be simplest. All triangles...

Liam Rescued attachment frame.jpg
Rescued attachment frame.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 30/5/05 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Actually i'd be tempted to cross the sill cos being so low it will be highly stressed... Rescued attachment frame.jpg
Rescued attachment frame.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cymtriks

posted on 1/6/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by me!
If you already have a bodshell then it's a good idea to look at the chassis that originally went under it. If you copy that then the body work wil fit straight on. If you design your own chassis then you will probably need to modify the bodywork.

The GT40 is not too far away in size or concept from the Ultima. Check out the site ultimav12.ca for an excellent set of mods for the Ultima which result in a decent chassis perfectly adequate for your purposes.

Also try Googling for the Lotus 23 chassis and look at the Lotus 23 busa project thread on the middy section of this forum.

The Lotus 23 and the Ultima both have no tunnel down the car centre, they have sill structures instead. The tunnel on your car isn't adding much, you may as well delete it.

A word of warning. nearly all kit car space frames are actually less stiff for their weight than simple X braced ladder frames. A ladder of 4x2-14gauge with a scuttle/footwell structure and a triangulated seat back frame would probably be as good as the frames you've discussed so far.

I've posted some analysis results of spaceframe and ladder frame designs on the locost7.info site under files with the title kitcaranalysisv2.doc

Good luck with the project!

And take a look at this--- Rescued attachment frame23_pbh.JPG
Rescued attachment frame23_pbh.JPG

JoelP

posted on 1/6/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
one that can be seen without borrowing NASAs array of monitors Rescued attachment untitledcy1.jpg
Rescued attachment untitledcy1.jpg

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.