Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Seat belt fixing point
britishtrident

posted on 17/3/05 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
whats the westfield camel hump - have you got any pictures?

The drawing came from somewhere out on the web my own verson is different in that "O" isn't angled. Rescued attachment camel.jpg
Rescued attachment camel.jpg

ned

posted on 17/3/05 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
so the hump is simply a bit of steel welded onto the top bar and profiled to give extra height for the seatbelt mount..?!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 17/3/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yes apart from height it adds bending & torsional stiffness to "O"
MikeR

posted on 17/3/05 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
not sure about bending. the seat beld is now anchored further away from the verticals that hold O in place, thus acting as a lever to bend O
britishtrident

posted on 17/3/05 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
not sure about bending. the seat beld is now anchored further away from the verticals that hold O in place, thus acting as a lever to bend O

Thats going to happen with any mounting of this type and one of the reasons I switched 2mm wall tube for "O" because it has a much greater ressistance to buckling type failure than 1.5. The centre of "O" is also braced to the tunnel by 2 vertical goal posts .

clbarclay

posted on 17/3/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
What about the alternative used by luego for example, which is to have a lower tube in the roll bar which has the seat belt bolted to it.

Does this design have any particular draw backs if you need higher seat belt mountings?

ned

posted on 17/3/05 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just been over to a friends workshop this evening and he so happens to have a lathe, drills and 7/16" unf tap.

Only problem now is that the rod we started turning down and tapping turned out (no pun intended!) to have a seam through the middle of it, so we came to the conclusion that (the old shuttering pin we were using) must be rolled somehow in construction and hence wouldn't be up to the job once turned down to the right size

Problem i have now is sourcing a foot or so of 16mm + rod. it can be larger diameter as i have the ability to turn it down, but i can't get anywhere as i work in london and am away this weekend.

can anyone help? i can't see the point in paying for the threaded tube when i can make it myself but you can't buy a 12" piece from a stockist as there will be a minimum length and delivery etc so it becomes unfeasable.

suggestions?

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 17/3/05 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, i'm formulating a cunning plan ...... send me a U2U telling me how quickly you want these mounts - I might be able to get you the steel but it will cost you 8 1" mounts and postage back

(this is assuming the steel and postage to you costs less than 8 mounts from Darren)

[Edited on 17/3/05 by MikeR]

Mix

posted on 18/3/05 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Why not buy 16mm bolts and fabricate the tubes from them?

Mick

Hornet

posted on 18/3/05 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Ned.... Quote- the plate and nut idea is a good one (though i only have nylocks which will melt during welding!) as it could be hidden by a tonneau style boot cover, will have to see.

I have used plate welded with bolt and nyloc nut. I am of the belief this will pass. There is no need to weld the nut on?

J

MikeR

posted on 18/3/05 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Welding the nut on just makes things a lot easier, you put the seat belt anchor through the plate and don't have to worry about getting a spanner in behind.

Also by making the threaded part as large as possible (i think) youre making it safer as there is more steel to counteract the bending force. Although if a single bolt on a suspension mount is acceptable on a production car this is probably a non issue.

ned

posted on 18/3/05 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Mix,

We thought about using bolts, but has most are coated/hardened we thought it might cause problems when cutting on the lather and damaging his bits.

I'm planning on making the threaded tube and welding it through the top chassis rail, not behind it as this should be strongest. If necessary I'll make a top hat/sleeve to raise the belt if necessary for Sva.

MikeR,

That sounds like a good arrangement. I'd like to get the mounts made by the end of next week as I'm hoping to complete my chassis for powdercoating over the easter weekend. Check out the postage cost and let me know (I'll need a longer length to do yours as well obviously, prob nearer 2' so bear this in mind.

I was working on 7/16 unf tap and turning the od down to approx 14mm on the tube, to make drilling through the chassis rail as easy as possible. 13mm won't leave enough meat round the thread and will probably lead to distortion when welding.

Ned.

[Edited on 18/3/05 by ned]

Mix

posted on 18/3/05 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
BZP 8.8 bolts will turn fine and won't dasmage the lathe or tooling

Mick

ned

posted on 18/3/05 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info mix, would be good if I had any bolts big enough, but don't think anything i have has 14mm+ shank. will wait and see if miker and i can sort something out.

Miker,

thinking about postage costs, it must be cheaper to send me some steel bar/rod than pay darren £23 + postage for his tubes.

royal mail standard parcels is about £10 for upto 10kg iirc, that would cover it surely..

Ned.

Ned.

MikeR

posted on 18/3/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ned, need to cost postage but i can get two 15mm mild steel bars 30cm long from metal supermarket. one for you, one for me for £3. I'm guessing worst case postage is £7.20..........

so return postage back to me shouldn't be more than 7.20.

I think its worth it, so are you interested?

[Edited on 18/3/05 by MikeR]

ned

posted on 18/3/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Mike,

agreed, will u2u my address..

Ned.

ps if you could get me an extra 30cm bar and i'll reimburse you the difference + any extra postage cost that'd be well handy.

MikeR

posted on 18/3/05 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
u've got u2u Ned and don't worry about the extra bar, it was something like 1.50 ex vat.
ned

posted on 18/3/05 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
u2u backatcha..

ned

posted on 29/3/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just to bring this one back up, here's a pic of how I sorted my top mount out inthe end and gained a bit of extra height that i needed...

top harness mount
top harness mount

Ned.

MikeR

posted on 29/3/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the post ned, youve just answered something thats been bothering me for a while. I can run a hoziontal bar along my roll bar next to the chassis top rail with the diagonal feeding to the top of that and it will clear where i'll be putting the seat belt mounts.

ned

posted on 29/3/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to weld into the top tube, but due to the diagonal on the underside of the outer mounting points I wouldn't have been able to weld around the bottom of the inserted threaded tube. The addition of another tube made most sense as it raised the height of the mount, hence killing two birds etc.

I may also add another vertical member below the top chassis rail inline with the inner mounts to reduce the stress on the top member from the twisting motion which is now exagerated as the harness mounts are higher hence giving more leverage to twist the top chassis rail under braking/weight on top harness mounts (hope you're still with me..)

Ned.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.