Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Lightening Holes
leto

posted on 1/10/04 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
This the first time I read anything on this forum that actually scared me.

"Drilling the centre of bolts is OK as the centre is actually a nuetral axis."

This statement is not wrong, it is true IF the bots are bended or twisted. If a bolt is in tension or in shear, and most are, there is on “neutarl axis”, the whole cross section of the bolt supports the load and drilling out the center will make it weaker.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

I love speed :-P

posted on 1/10/04 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
just 2 add something which i will probly regret, wasnt the whole point of holes, used in aeroplanes, 2 a make them lighter, but also, 2 move the stress points or something?

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 1/10/04 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
The pr guys widely misuse the quality of aircraft material to compare their own products.
What those smart guys dont tell you is that for example a helicopter,even the most advanced military one,would fall apart after a few thousand miles on the road if it would be used like you drive your daily car,if you understand what i mean.

All i'm saying is that it is damn difficult to compare things so drilling holes to enlighten a part is not per definition a bad idea,or for that matter a good one.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/10/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
True - most aircraft have maintenance schedules that car drivers would never want to achieve!

David

Hugh Paterson

posted on 2/10/04 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Dam-n-blast

Thats it had enough all this article has done is pee me off because that weldings the mutts nutts (not a pun), i thought i had it cracked until I saw that O well back to horseshoes
Shug.

silex

posted on 2/10/04 at 04:38 AM Reply With Quote
OK, the engineers out there can argue about holes an swaging and how bad they can be, but you also know that this depends on the direction of force and how much material it removed and that a well place hole can in fact add stress relief.

Perhaps a simple guide for the non engineers out there should be to ask yourself the following question

If what I drill breaks, could I die or cause serious injury because of it ?

If you think there is a possibility that the answer it yes...........don't drill the hole.

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

posted on 2/10/04 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
Drilling out parts by amateurs (me and 99% of us homebuiders)would be done for the looks.Most of us,and certainly me, dont have the knowledge to make a dependable analysis and according to this design the ultimate part which incorporates sometimes enlightening by drilling.
Other things can be done to improve the looks and most of the time this will add weigth instead of remove weigth but what are we talking about in terms of actual weigth?A few kilograms at the most!Transform this to percentage and you will see that it's neglectable.
Furthermore most of the drilling is done on parts which are hidden so ...

Perhaps it's time that a more knowledgable builder than myself will come up with some sort of list which deals with all these myths like drilling brake discs-putting extra wide tyres on etc....
I dont think that any of you guys go's to the toilet every time you take your seven out for a drive like Schummi does before every race to win a few thousends of a second,or dou you...?

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 2/10/04 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Taking a Dump before a race...

I put Ti bolts on my mountain bike and a mate joked why dont I just shave my eye brows and hair and cut my nails to save a bit more!

Jb

David Jenkins

posted on 2/10/04 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest, I could reduce the all-up weight of my car by 50-60lb without lightening holes anywhere - I could go on a diet!

The heaviest thing on my car is the nut holding the wheel...

David

cymtriks

posted on 2/10/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Holes can be OK if properly thought through.

Take a look at an Elise pedal, it has a network of triangular holes through its width making the lever arm into a little spaceframe. That's fine if you have Lotus Engineering to tell you that it's strong enough. There must be a few crashed Elises around by now. Maybe these pedals are waiting in a breakers somewhere to be fitted to locosts.

I have been looking at some shafts for jet engines lately at work. At various places along their length they have holes to allow air and oil to circulate to appropriate places. Every time there is a hole the shaft has it's wall thickness roughly doubled around the hole. This is not an accident. We spent weeks thinking about those holes.

I can't think of any part on a locost that I'd put a lightening hole. I don't think it's worth it in most cases. You will have to drill a lot of holes to make any real difference and either spent a lot of time crunching the stress sums or taken a big risk in the process. Personally I'd spend the time and effort elsewhere and not take the risk.

The best parts to save weight from are probably the wheels and tyres followed by the hubs and uprights. This helps three times over. It saves unsprung weight thus improving handling and ride. It saves dead weight thus improving cornering, braking and acceleration. It saves rotating mass thus improving braking and acceleration.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.