F1 Mini

posted on 31/5/04 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Understand now.......
nicklondon

posted on 1/6/04 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
it all makes sense now,the mini is your shopping car
Hugh Paterson

posted on 1/6/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Oh yes we all understand now, You have a death wish but very impressive, hell of a way to go
Shug

F1 Mini

posted on 1/6/04 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
A Shopping car come 10 second Sleeper. The F40 is my replacement for the Ult, but it's going to be a few years before that's complete. So the mini realy apealed to me at a Cheap, Fun, Quick and build it yourself level.
Mad..... almost definatly....

chrisf

posted on 2/6/04 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Max plys of CFRP/layup

OK, I'm hyjacking Philips post. I too am considering using CFRP for the sides, back, trans tunnel and perhaps even the bonnet. However, I'm not really experienced with the material. As was suggested before, I plan to layup on glass, then cut to suit. But I have no idea how many plys are appropriate. I'm thinking of using 3 plys of CFRP, with perhaps a ply of kevlar on the inside of the trans tunnel.

Is it possible to layup 4 plys in one fell swoop? I've read once that composites create chemical heat as more and more plys are used.

Also, what weights/patterns should I shop for?? Any help is appreciated!

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Paterson

posted on 3/6/04 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Chris, The carbon is reasonably easy to work with, the carbon kevlar combination requires shears with a keen edge that can cut the damn stuff, dont even think about using the carbon/Kevlar mix without the correct tools. Ask the supplier if he stocks them he may well do. You now have to look at what type of effect/strength you are looking to achieve. If you are hand laying this without vacuum bagging or employing someone with an expensive autoclave as well (to hell with the expense if u do) you are simply going for the wow factor. In which case to be honest to save on cost of material if you looked at the layup of similar products on other cars you would no doubt find the outer (visable) surface would be a Carbon weave backed up by a couple of light weight CSM laminates, or more likely either a GRP Cloth/weave, or a Carbon/ Diolene composite (who me). If you are interested in buying enough Carbon to do the bits u mentioned like so, its liable to cost in the region of 10-15 quid per metre of material for the Carbon Cloth, hell of a lot less for the grp weaves or even CSM. U now have to consider which type of resin you intend to employ, Polyester and others in the same family. or Epoxy resin, dearer but stronger less, fumes, and a bit more complicated to get the mix just right. If u have a good technique to get a nice even layer of gelcoat on yer panel/mould to give a base for the carbon, I would say have a go. If you have minimal or no previous practise with bog standard resin/CSM dont bother buying the carbon never mind the kevlar, u will be throwing yer hard earned dosh away. If your daft enough to try it anyway, I can tell u where to get "samples" or swatch pads for u to have a look at prior to buying, and point u in the direction of a supplier to save u dosh that will sell to "enthusiasts" at a reasonable cost, in small quantities. Oh make sure your sitting down when u get the quote
Shug.

nicklondon

posted on 3/6/04 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
is there a cheap way to get the carbon fibre look? is the process the same as for grp ?
Hugh Paterson

posted on 3/6/04 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
The process is the same its just a wee bit more fiddly to get a good surface finish with no air bubbles spoiling the apperance of the item, (anyone got an aero)!! Flat panels are a doddle, shaped panels with flanged edges or returns etc take a bit more time/thought. If your careful good results can be had. Its like Sex all down to technique, you get better the more u practise
Shug.

Indylight900

posted on 10/6/04 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have to use a gel coat when laying up a carbon/epoxy flat panel ? I thought the gel coat was just there to give a more weather resistant surface to polyester resin.
dmottaway

posted on 11/6/04 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
No first hand experience, but I have heard if you do up a batch of gfrp and put a bit of copy machine toner in the resin, it results in a carbon look, without the carbon problems.

may be worth a try if appearance is the goal, instead of strength.

dave

[Edited on 11/6/04 by dmottaway]

Hugh Paterson

posted on 11/6/04 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy the Carbon powder ''look'' from good GRP suppliers If u want to be a right plonker u can buy the glitter flecks to add to yer gelcoat too.
Shug.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.