Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: First time and having a go
suparuss

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
according to this book by forbes aird, square tube has a theoretical buckiing load of about 17% less than round in compression. (in tension, shape doesnt matter only the amount of material.
it contradicts those calculations that i didnt understand but it makes sense. backed up by the fact that (as far as i know) every race car that uses tube, uses round tube instead of square, even though its harder to cut (fishmouthing).

correct me if i am wrong as always!

[Edited on 24/2/04 by suparuss]

flak monkey

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
No i am probably wrong!

Wouldnt be the first time. Its maths we have just covered in my uni course, that i dont fully understand, but thought that was right.

I have edited my post so it is now correct! Was a misunderstanding of the pricipals that we have just covered in maths :-S. Apologies all 'round'

Cheers

David

[Edited on 24/2/04 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Gazr81

posted on 26/2/04 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all thanks for all the comments ive reworked the whole chassis with a use-able bulkhead and alot more trianglated sections any more constructive criticism would be a help Rescued attachment 26threworked1.jpg
Rescued attachment 26threworked1.jpg

suparuss

posted on 26/2/04 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
looks very complicated!
there is however a huge gap in your triangulation, im notsure where the wishbones mount so it may be behind that and not important but it is directly below what appears to be the upper mounts for the shock absorbers, the trianulation ends forewards of it, and then there is a bit on top, but the whole rear (wishbone and shock mounts, and possible gearbox mounts if they are far enough back) is held on by four straight tubes.
saying it looks complicated, id be inclined to rethink and try and make the whole thing more efficient, then again i noticed someone else mentioning the "birdcage" in the other thread, ive seee nthis in a book and its got more tubes than yours so its been done before.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.