Board logo

MotaLeira progress
nitram38 - 23/9/08 at 11:07 AM

Been a while since I did anything as I have been working 7 days a week for a couple of months and then been to Florida for 3 weeks.
I have been back a week so now I am determined to get the car finished as soon as I can.
I am fabricating a thin aluminium floor tub and here is the progress so far. It will need sides welded on plus a small tunnel to support the centre of the floor.
Once fitted I will be able to finish all of the painting on the chassis (where I missed) and start bolting things back on.
The titanium skids have been mounted because I have air adjustable suspension and the car will either sit on the blocks or protect the chassis if I get an air leak !

Basic floor pan with no sides (needs trimming):

Description
Description

Rear view with folded rear tub:

Description
Description

Front skid pads:

Description
Description

Rear skid pads (look a bit p*ssed as not tightened up):

Description
Description

Mr Whippy - 23/9/08 at 11:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
The titanium skids have been mounted because I have air adjustable suspension and the car will either sit on the blocks or protect the chassis if I get an air leak !

oh what a fibber! there for throwing up heaps of sparks when you touch the road just like on motorbikes and F1 cars!

bet you set the ride height so it just 'accidentally' grazes the road when pushing it...

[Edited on 23/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

Alan B - 23/9/08 at 11:19 AM

Looking good mate...

Mave - 23/9/08 at 08:00 PM

As usual, very nice. But please, please reconsider having the chassis shotblasted and powdercoated...... The first impression suffers so much from the current coating.
All IMHO of course......

nitram38 - 23/9/08 at 08:22 PM

Sorry, made up my mind about the chassis coating.
I want to drive (give it a dam good thrashing, more like!) without worrying about stone chips etc, so I can just slap some more paint on if it happens.

scootz - 24/9/08 at 07:15 AM

Sorry Nitram - I have to agree with Mave.

You've obviously put a lot of time and effort into this car, but the paint as seen in the photo's (assuming this is the end finish) looks bloody awful. Almost bad enough to spoil the whole look of the car (for me) given that it has such an exposed chassis structure!

If you are dead against powder-coat (andI can understand why you might be), then why not just have it properly primed and spray painted satin-black at a shop. Wouldn't cost the earth and you could still do seamless touch-ups when required with a can of PJ1 satin black engine casing paint!

nitram38 - 24/9/08 at 12:58 PM

I refer to my previous reply about the paint..........

Today I bolted the sides on and they need a little "excess" trimmed off
That will be done today and tomorrow night I will be tacking them on with my tig, ready for the floor tub to be taken off and fully welded.
Last job on the floor tub is to create an internal "transmission" tunnel which will have openings at the sides. This is to house the pipework from the front rad etc and also be bolted to the chassis rails to give the floor some more support in the centre.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Triton - 25/9/08 at 03:15 PM

Cracking car mate but:.....

Brush painting something as cool as that you should be whipped with stinging nettles to make you see the error of your ways....

Mark

mr henderson - 25/9/08 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Sorry, made up my mind about the chassis coating.
I want to drive (give it a dam good thrashing, more like!) without worrying about stone chips etc, so I can just slap some more paint on if it happens.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I think powder coating is over-rated. Looks good when it first goes on but if it gets damaged it's difficult to sort out, always some visual evidence

John

nitram38 - 26/9/08 at 05:47 PM

Things don't always go to plan. Couldn't get to weld it last night and I am working for the next 10 days
However, the sides are trimmed and bolted on. Next I will get those two square holes cut.
Progress tonight:

Description
Description

Description
Description