Board logo

Making bone brackets
speedyxjs - 15/4/08 at 07:06 AM

What is the easiest way to make wishbone brackets? I cant use the book because jag bones are a bit wider. Do they need to be a tight fit?

Mole - 15/4/08 at 08:41 AM

The method I used was as decribed in the book. You cut a stip and drill a hole in one end, then bend (vice + big hammer), then drill all the way through to ensure the holes line up. Then I realised the two I made were crap and bought some. You may not have that option so the best advice I can give is to ensure the strip is 90 degrees with the vice before bending.

Mole - 15/4/08 at 08:42 AM

Suitable thickness and size RHS maybe a better option.

Delinquent - 15/4/08 at 08:45 AM

Make the brackets oversize, you can then use washers to adjust the fore / aft position of the 'bones to fine set your geometry. Once done just take the washers out and have permanent bushes made up of matching thicknesses.

worX - 15/4/08 at 08:52 AM

It would be very simple to make a jig to allow them all to be made identical and for the holes to line up perfectly.

Steve

Mr Whippy - 15/4/08 at 11:18 AM

Though I haven't make any, I think the success rate of trying to make some without a jig would be rather low

The jigs in the book were nothing more than a sheet of wood with blocks screwed onto it.

James - 15/4/08 at 02:07 PM

I highly recommend not bothering with the book method.... it's a crap method and a pain to do.

Get some square tube of the correct dimensions. Drill the holes you need (a 'U' shape will distort a little when you drill). Then cut out the face of the box you don't need.

Result, nice and square, easy and cheap brackets.

HTH,
James

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 15/4/08 at 05:42 PM

ello,i make 500@ a time in two sizes if you want some,same as book plus same as my westy's alternatively e-mail me some dims and i'll knock some up for ya
Lazer Cut And C.N.C Folded
wayno!! Rescued attachment DSCN1228.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN1228.JPG