Board logo

A bit more MotaLeira chassis!
nitram38 - 14/3/08 at 03:11 PM

Well the fuel filler actually!
This plate is will be welded between two chassis rails for an sva proof fuel cap.
It is slightly angled to make filling easier.
Thre are a couple of welds that need cleaning up on the bottom edge (before someone tells me!)

Description
Description

Description
Description

[img][/img]

speedyxjs - 14/3/08 at 03:19 PM

blakep82 - 14/3/08 at 03:22 PM

wish i had your skills

nitram38 - 14/3/08 at 03:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
wish i had your skills

I was lucky in that during the 92 recession I started work for a local welder and I learned to weld. I also picked up contacts to people who have cnc machines.
But to be honest, all it takes is some practice to get the welding right and to start off making the parts in thin card and sellotape to see if the it fits/works.
Soon I will making an Aluminium fuel tank, but I will make it out of cardboard first to see that it fits!

donut - 14/3/08 at 03:52 PM

nice!

TimC - 14/3/08 at 03:57 PM

Seriously, can you stop making such a quality car - I'm beginning to want one - badly!

Confused but excited. - 14/3/08 at 04:16 PM

Ee lad, tha's a dab 'and wi' wet metal.

Delinquent - 14/3/08 at 04:45 PM

pah, I could weld like that if I wanted to - I just prefer my joins to look like they are held together by a load of hairy caterpillars.

Dangle_kt - 14/3/08 at 04:47 PM

I don't know if anyone spotted this, but the weld on the bottom needs tdying up....

HEHE!

No seriously, that looks very good! How did you make the uniform lip round two edges?

nitram38 - 14/3/08 at 05:06 PM

They are only welded on only one side.
Making sure that they are on the external/outside ensures no failures from Mr SVA with his radius gauge.

Mr Whippy - 14/3/08 at 05:22 PM

flash git

cloudy - 14/3/08 at 06:46 PM

Excellent job - I was thinking of just putting a cap on the tank itself as it's so accessible - reckon that'll be SVA OK?

nitram38 - 14/3/08 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
Excellent job - I was thinking of just putting a cap on the tank itself as it's so accessible - reckon that'll be SVA OK?

That will be fine.
In my case there will be the air suspension above the tank and air hoses for the induction to the airbox, but my biggest concern is that just behind the tank is the exhaust.
Although there is an aluminium sheild and I will be putting some fire retardant fabric on the sheild, I don't want to risk fuel hitting the exhaust when pulling the pump nozzle out!
Having the fuel filler off to the side of the car (and opposite side to the exhaust exit pipes) will be safer.

[Edited on 14/3/2008 by nitram38]

adithorp - 14/3/08 at 09:33 PM

Petrol WON'T ignite on a hot exhaust. It requires a spark or flame to ignite. On an exhaust it just boils away even if the exhaust is glowing.

Your still making anoyingly good progress.

adrian

stuleah - 14/3/08 at 09:55 PM

it really is looking good, im jealous.
keep up the good work

nitram38 - 14/3/08 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Petrol WON'T ignite on a hot exhaust. It requires a spark or flame to ignite. On an exhaust it just boils away even if the exhaust is glowing.

Your still making anoyingly good progress.

adrian

Thats what the said about the Caparo T1

blakep82 - 14/3/08 at 11:08 PM

^and various F1 pit fires...

nitram38 - 15/3/08 at 02:06 PM

More pics of filler in place:

Description
Description

[img][/img]