Board logo

triangular plates
robertst - 6/3/07 at 01:19 AM

got a week to work on the car and i fitted the triangular plates under the roll-bar bounts. wanted to know your opinion.

As you can see, i had made an error in the position of the diagonal tube, but i made these plates out of 3mm plate and welded them in.

should that do? i think it actually might have more strenght as it goes around the box section rather than on top... Rescued attachment rollbarsupport.jpg
Rescued attachment rollbarsupport.jpg

MikeRJ - 6/3/07 at 01:34 AM

It may well be stronger like that, but I have to wonder where your rear suspension brackets are going to fit?

Mr Whippy - 6/3/07 at 01:38 AM

so long as you can still get the bracket for the coilover in it does look stronger though I would add a plate as in the pic below Rescued attachment pic.jpg
Rescued attachment pic.jpg

Mr Whippy - 6/3/07 at 01:41 AM

I wondered aswell and had to look at one of my chassis, I think there's more room than it appears in the picture.

MikeRJ - 6/3/07 at 01:51 AM

I reckon even if you can squeeze a bracket in, there is a good chance of the top spring seat of the shock fouling the diagonal tube.

I'm sure something could be worked out though, possibly a shorter shock and put the bracket on the bottom of the diagonal tube.

robertst - 6/3/07 at 10:54 AM

thats another story i can do many things about the shock. as the bushes are quite narrow, theres quite some space to work on...