Board logo

New Blade cradle idea ?????
Avoneer - 5/1/06 at 08:00 PM

Hi,

Just dropped my engine in the car and been toying with a different cradle design to replace the standard Stuart Taylor agricultural one which is made from 2x1 and is very bulky: Rescued attachment original.jpg
Rescued attachment original.jpg

Avoneer - 5/1/06 at 08:03 PM

If I cut out the "R" tube (engine bay diagonal) and replace it with this A shaped frame, would that be ok?

All the engine mouting points would be in the same place.

I would drill directly through the 1" box and weld in a tube and bolt straight to the engine.

The beauty of this design is that with my shallow sump, there is nothing below the bottom chassis rail and I can panel the whole of the bottom of the car.

Pat... Rescued attachment 1.jpg
Rescued attachment 1.jpg

Avoneer - 5/1/06 at 08:04 PM

Another angle: Rescued attachment 2.jpg
Rescued attachment 2.jpg

Avoneer - 5/1/06 at 08:07 PM

There will also be two mounts for the gearbox at the bottom.

Pat...

erwe - 5/1/06 at 08:12 PM

Very good, the more triangluation the more stiffnes you create.
Its a kind of Westfield solution.
Just make sure that you make a support at the underside of the V on the right hand side of the car.

JoelP - 5/1/06 at 08:14 PM

i like the look of it. You should probably try to add a bracing bar to the peak of the A, maybe diagonally down to another braced point. I've never seen a bike engined car up close, do they use an engine mount on the nearside of the car, is it just the top and bottom of the box side? A panelled bottom will get messy but will probably greatly help aerodynamics, and probably smooth air flow through the engine bay, provided it has somewhere to leave!

Avoneer - 5/1/06 at 08:20 PM

Yeah, will stick a vertical in from the underneath of the peak of the A to the bottom chassis rail.

Pat...

Avoneer - 5/1/06 at 08:28 PM

I could always leave the diagonal bar that is already there in and cut the top of the A short and weld it to that bar???

Pat...

JoelP - 5/1/06 at 08:35 PM

better the first way IMHO, then theres only the one point to reinforce, not two!

JoelP - 5/1/06 at 08:38 PM

this one is overkill, but fully braced Rescued attachment overkill.JPG
Rescued attachment overkill.JPG

Avoneer - 5/1/06 at 08:39 PM

But doing it this following way is almost the same as the ST one so wouldn't need any extra verticals: Rescued attachment wert.jpg
Rescued attachment wert.jpg

ChrisGamlin - 5/1/06 at 08:39 PM

Hi Pat

As erwe said, its similar to the Westie solution which might be worth looking at, as that would add even better triangulation than your A frame. Have a look at this link of my mate Ed's Megablade build.

Chris

Avoneer - 5/1/06 at 09:08 PM

Best I can do is this due to the steering shaft: Rescued attachment X1.jpg
Rescued attachment X1.jpg

ChrisGamlin - 5/1/06 at 09:40 PM

Yep the column mount on top of the tunnel does limit this slightly, but dont forget that the X doesnt have to be truely straight / symmetrical, if you look closely at the Westie one at least one of the crossmembers is bent where they cross to get it into the chassis corners.

ChrisGamlin - 5/1/06 at 09:44 PM

Actually, looking at it again the blade one looks fairly straight, but the Busa version of the cradle does have a bend in the middle, as shown here

[Edited on 5/1/06 by ChrisGamlin]

Avoneer - 5/1/06 at 10:12 PM

With the position of my steering column and the bike thermostat, I think my A is gonna be best and easiest with the removal of the normal engine bay diagonal and a vertical brace.

Pat...

Avoneer - 6/1/06 at 08:30 PM

If the X was to sit on top of the chassis rather than in it, but bolted via plates, would this be ok bracing wise???

Pat...

Avoneer - 6/1/06 at 08:59 PM

Actually, looking favourite is copying the Stuart Taylor one, but in 1" box with different end mountings that drop onto flat plates like most other manafacturers.

Pat...