Board logo

I'm thinking of cutting off my ears!
James - 18/11/05 at 06:14 PM

Will cutting my ears off effect chassis strength?

Bearing in mind my chassis dimensions are a 'little' different from standard, I'm considering cutting off the 'ears' on the LA/LB/LC section.
They are a lot less prominent on my car than a 'Book' design as my L section is standard but my chassis is wider.
Therefore I have to cut a hole in my ali panel for the 'ears' to stick out but then they only come out about 15mm- loads of work for no gain!

If I cut vertically about 15mm off the end of the top rail of L section (and therefore a bit off LC aswell) and plate over it will it in structural terms effect anything negatively?

I took some piccies and will upload them shortly to illustrate what I mean as I suspect my explanation was pretty dreadful.

Cheers,
James

Peteff - 18/11/05 at 06:38 PM

That'll cut down on wind resistance, should put 10mph on top speed . I thought of cutting the sticky out bits (technical term) and welding a strip of 25mm over the cut to put it back. I cant see a problem with it.

Bob C - 18/11/05 at 06:40 PM

I faithfully crafted those bizarre pointy angled ears, thinking they must do something useful like position the nosecone or something.
They don't. They're simply an embarrassment come SVA time. Slice the buggers off that's what I say!
Bob C

Avoneer - 18/11/05 at 07:15 PM

Hurry up with the pics, I've been thinking of doing this myself

Aren't GTS and MK's made like this?

Pat...

flak monkey - 18/11/05 at 07:38 PM

I know the GTS chassis is, not sure about the others.

David

big_wasa - 18/11/05 at 07:42 PM

like this,gts style

James - 18/11/05 at 07:51 PM

Here's my ears:

Most obvious picture:

Chop ears3
Chop ears3

More photos here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=James&folder=Ears

As you can see because of my wider chassis but standard 'L' section they protude just enough to be a pain to SVA but nothing else!

Chop 'em off?

Cheers,

James

James - 18/11/05 at 07:51 PM

Sorry the pics a bit big.

I'll edit it smaller tomorrow- I'm already an hour late for going out to dinner and I ain't left yet!

Cheers,
James

P.S. Ali panel is a prototype by the way! Explains the hexagonal w/bone holes!

[Edited on 18/11/05 by James]

[Edited on 18/11/05 by James]

Mark Allanson - 18/11/05 at 09:14 PM

Mine have disappeared all together Rescued attachment Front Shocks2.jpg
Rescued attachment Front Shocks2.jpg

Ben_Copeland - 19/11/05 at 08:24 AM

Yep, cut and welded mine till they no longer showed.

Put some strengtheners in the top corners just incase. On the inside of the corner, if you see what i mean

Mix - 19/11/05 at 08:51 AM

I'd be tempted to gusset them on the inside, otherwise I think it's a good idea.

Mick

caber - 19/11/05 at 09:43 AM

Its what made Van Gogh Famous!

Caber

Rorty - 19/11/05 at 11:25 AM

I looked at the whole front of the chassis when I modelled it and it really couldn't be more awkward.
I prefer working with round tube and I think a round tube bent to replace LA, B, C, and D would make a much tidier front to the chassis.