Board logo

finished welding my chassis..
ned - 1/4/05 at 10:49 AM

or so i hope.

Thought i'd post it up as I'm geting it blasted and powder coated and sods law i will have forgotten a bracket or something somewhere...

chassis finished?
chassis finished?

i have got brackets for:

steering column + bush
rack + reinforcement
front + rear brake lines
all suspension mounts
engine mount plates
harness mounts
seat mounts
fuel tank
nose cone
headlamps
pedals
gearbox mount
diff
handbrake

only other things i can think of is fuel pump, but will prob just rivnut to chassis, same for rad and scuttle.

Ned.

[Edited on 1/4/05 by ned]

britishtrident - 1/4/05 at 11:08 AM

looking good :-) Don't think the next bit is easier but it must be less frustrating :-)

scoobyis2cool - 1/4/05 at 11:08 AM

Looks good, can't spot anything missing, but then I wouldn't take my word for it

Out of interest, any idea how much it weighs?

Good luck with the powdercoating, when are you getting it done? Would be good to see some pics of that too

Cheers,

Pete

ned - 1/4/05 at 11:11 AM

no idea what it weighs, won't be light as i have put quite a few extra bits in to aid rigidity. if i remember i will weigh it once it's powdercoated and at home, not in my mates barn.

powder coating will likely be nearer the end of the month as i'm pretty booked up for weekends, need to fit a towbar, borrow a trailer and get it to the company during woring hours in the week - oh and be able to pay for it

Will get some more piccies when it's done. In the meantime i just have some grinding/tidying up of welds to do. I thought I hsould stop grinding at 11.30pm last night, but carried on welding a bit later!

Ned.

ps added another couple of pics to the bottom of my archive showing the seat and seatblet mounts and my rear undertray/diffuser mounts

britishtrident - 1/4/05 at 11:15 AM

Is that a Sunbeam Alpine I see under the dust sheet ?

ned - 1/4/05 at 11:16 AM

afraid it's only a tr6...

....with no interior

the barn was rathr empty when this was taken (and there's another aeroplane under the sheets on the rh side) theres also now a load of generators (he bought a job lot at auction) and an old formula ford knocking about, as well as bits of his traction engine and some old race xflows.. did i mentio the plant equipment?!

new home 2
new home 2

Ned.

Fozzie - 1/4/05 at 11:30 AM

Well done Ned!
Now let the fun begin!

Fozzie

James - 1/4/05 at 11:51 AM

Looking good mate.

You sure this chassis wasn't a pressie from the Easter Bunny though?

Need any brackets/tubes for the handbrake cable?
Radiator?

How you doing the upper seatbelt mount?

Cheers,
James

EDIT: Oh, and does he want to sell off a generator cheap?

[Edited on 1/4/05 by James]

ned - 1/4/05 at 12:00 PM

upper seatbelt mounts are threaded tube welded in to an extra bit of 1x1 on the top chassis rail (for height). put a couple of extra support down to help resist the twisting motion/forces under braking..

why would i need any brackets for the handbrake cable itself? I have the handbrake mount, thought i could just have the cable going through the back of the tunel by the dif? if i need brackets i could always knock something out of ally but didn't think it was necessary?

[img][/img]

Bob C - 1/4/05 at 12:17 PM

Looks cool - I'm nearly there too, seat belt mountings this weekend! then paint & start pop rivetting....
Bob

James - 1/4/05 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ned

why would i need any brackets for the handbrake cable itself? I have the handbrake mount, thought i could just have the cable going through the back of the tunel by the dif? if i need brackets i could always knock something out of ally but didn't think it was necessary?

Just in case you wanted tubes (MK stylee) or anything to thread the cable through- and to tension it against. I'm sure something riveted would do though.

Cheers,
James

Danozeman - 1/4/05 at 08:50 PM

That looks a well finished chassis ned... I cheated and bought one...

scutter - 1/4/05 at 09:53 PM

Just a note of caution Ned,

Make sure you have enough clearance for your exhaust, as I've just discovered that mine hits the TR tubes necessitating a rethink.

Luckily it's the only ali panel i haven't attached yet.

Nice looking chassis by the way.

ATB Dan.

ned - 2/4/05 at 09:36 AM

thanks Dan..

I have now (home at 1am again last night ) ground all the welds where panelling wil be down so it is ready to go once i fit my towbar (hopefully later on today).

I can't remeber which the tr tubes are (engine bay sides diagonals?), but I'm planning a bonnet edit exhaust anyway as I've put in a second tube r to aid engine bay stiffness, with the engine temporarily in place it was obvious there would be no easy way to route the exhaust down through the side panel and i feel i can get a better flowing design with more relaxed curves if it comes out of the bonnet anyway.
I've put a small bracket on by the passenger cokpit side for Paul's silencer which has clearance to the side panel, so hopefully that should all be ok.

cheers,

Ned.

Northy - 2/4/05 at 06:04 PM

Ned, you need something for the outer of the handbrake cable to push up against when you pull the handbrake! Your only trying to pull the inner cable remember!

rayward - 2/4/05 at 06:43 PM

Nice chassis!!!,

Are your top seat belt mounts high enough for SVA??

James - 2/4/05 at 11:06 PM

What about some sort of bracket for a towing eye or something? Not that I think that mighty engine of yours is gonna break down but just in case!

More importantly, what about one for the back so that when I break down you can come and easily tow me home!

Cheers,
James

wilkingj - 3/4/05 at 08:03 AM

Its looking good...

When I finish mine I will come down to that cafe and show you...

I came with 907 and his silencers a while ago. good day out it was.

Its worth the money getting it blasted, it will paint up nicely.

Avoneer - 4/4/05 at 09:19 PM

Hi Ned,
You probably thought of this already, but did you stick an old bolt in the seatbelt mounting holes to stop the powder coating covering the internal threads?
Pat...

ned - 4/4/05 at 09:29 PM

Pat,

I'll probably just borrow my mates tap and run them all through to clean them out, they probably need it after welding nearby anyway incase there is the very odd bit of spatter.

Ned.

Avoneer - 4/4/05 at 10:01 PM

Looks really good by the way.
Can't wait for mine to be at that stage.
Pat...

billy - 4/4/05 at 10:41 PM

cor, wait till the old xe lump goes in it you will be saying cheers to those BEC,s

ned - 8/4/05 at 04:08 PM

Chassis went into powder coaters this afternoon and may be ready next week. I also picked up my refreshly bored out 2.1 xe engine (pics soon).

Just to conclude the thread, the chassis wasn't actually finished until this morning when I remembered/decided it would be a good idea to add a chassis earth point (welded an upside down m8 bolt on) and a towing eye that I made from some spare 3mm plate and welded to the front bottom rail.

Ned.