Board logo

Move a chassi rail?
Micael - 7/12/04 at 11:34 AM

Hi guys,

The space between the starter engine and the lower chassis rali on the left side is to narrow. I have an Zetec/type9 in a book chassi.
I have moved the engine as far as possible to the left but I can't move it enough. If I move it more the propshaft coupling hits the proptunnel.

My plan is to move the lower chassi rail on the right side so I can have the engine in the center of the car.
Which is the best way to do this?

The upper drawing is how it looks now and the second and the third is two different ways to do this.

[Edited on 7/12/04 by Micael] Rescued attachment Drawing1.jpg
Rescued attachment Drawing1.jpg

britishtrident - 7/12/04 at 11:52 AM

Both are not good of the two the first method is better --- but the best way is -----
Cut the unwanted member out completely, and weld a new one in . To prevent the chasis disorting bolt the chassis down to a really solid build board before completing the final stages of cutting the old chassis member out. Make sure the new part is a close fit and only then carefully tack weld it uin place allowing cooling time between tacks, then complete the weld againn allowing it cool between short runs of weld.

[Edited on 7/12/04 by britishtrident]

Peteff - 7/12/04 at 02:41 PM

I did this in mine. It gives you more room for the bottom wishbone bracket as well Rescued attachment enginebay.jpg
Rescued attachment enginebay.jpg

Stu16v - 7/12/04 at 04:14 PM

Even better still, weld the new one in, and then cut the old one out...

Jon Ison - 7/12/04 at 04:55 PM

i leave those two out till the engines been trial fitted, same with the one at top of the engine bay.

Micael - 7/12/04 at 09:19 PM

Thanks for your reply

I really don't want to insert a new one. To do that I need to remove the mounting bracket for the lower wishbone. I don't think it can be done without damage
the bracket.

Here is a picture of it

[Edited on 7/12/04 by Micael]

Mark Allanson - 7/12/04 at 09:53 PM

or.... Rescued attachment StarterMod.JPG
Rescued attachment StarterMod.JPG

Micael - 7/12/04 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
or....

Thats one way to go! I wonder if the Swedish SVA (SFRO) will approve it.