Board logo

Chassis weight and roof rack?
Avoneer - 6/12/04 at 05:32 PM

Anyone know the rough weight of a book chassis and if it will be safe on the roof of a Scenic (all be it on a roof rack)!
Cheers,
Pat...

tom_loughlin - 6/12/04 at 05:37 PM

it says in the book 35lbs if my memory serves me correctly.
there is a pic of a guy holding it anyway, so imagine a roof rack will be more than strong enough.
tom

Mr G - 6/12/04 at 05:47 PM

No I don't think its A Guy - if i'm not mistaken it R Champion

Revision 2 Page 53 Fig 4.16 - No Brackets/Floor etc 35 lbs

Cheers

G

James - 6/12/04 at 05:50 PM

Tom,

Notice that chassis is a little shiny? I'm pretty sure we concluded it's an ally one!

There's no way the chassis is that light- you can only just lift a complete steel one. Either that or Chairman Ron was working out before taking that picture!

Pat,
I took my chassis home on OEM Peugeot 406 estate roof. It didn't have the floor in then but was mostly complete. Seemed to survive ok!
I use some 2x4 cross members at 90° degrees to the roof rack so there was a bit more to strap it too!

HTH,
James

Avoneer - 6/12/04 at 05:56 PM

Cheers.
My Avon chassis was bloody heavy and I don't know if i'd of put that on a roof rack.
Pat...

Mix - 6/12/04 at 06:17 PM

I think you'll find that bare chassis' come out at about 65 lbs before panelling. Should be OK on a roof rack if you take it easy.

Mick

[Edited on 6/12/04 by Mix]

Volvorsport - 6/12/04 at 06:24 PM

i was gonna say - why do you need a roof rack on ya locost ?

Anyway , i roofed mine back from MNR in harrogate via sheffield to lincoln . the most funny thing was the stares i got for the contraption on the roof , it didnt move once , i had some heavy duty straps and rope on me heavy duty roof rack on me heavy duty ahem volvo

Mark Allanson - 6/12/04 at 06:27 PM

Finish the car and put the Scenic on top!!

Seriously, my chassis weighted 9 stone will all the brackets and braces, but no floor or panalling

dozracing - 6/12/04 at 06:27 PM

Kit car workshop collected a fisher fury chassis on a roof rack last month.

3 car pile up and mangled chassis was the end result.

I think though that most roof racks are strong enough to take a chassis ok.

Kind regards,

Darren

dern - 6/12/04 at 06:52 PM

All the roof racks I've had were rated at 75Kg.

Mark

mangogrooveworkshop - 6/12/04 at 07:01 PM

Scotlad went to look at the MK.Martin had some punter not pick up his kit. He cracked a deal with Scotlad who went to Halfords for a rack and ended up coming back with the car on his estate. All the other bits went inside. And that was worksop to Edinburgh

Ive carried my other chassis on the minty metro!

scoobyis2cool - 6/12/04 at 07:30 PM

When I picked up my Indy kit we brought that back on the roof as well as the ally floor and didn't have any problems. Tie it down nice and securely and it doesn't seem to move about

Pete

colibriman - 6/12/04 at 08:55 PM

likewise..my Indy came up to Scotland from Harrogate on the roof of my Xantia estate - on a homemade unistrut roof-rack

have fun
Colin

Avoneer - 6/12/04 at 09:00 PM

Cheers guys,
Colin - maybe talking to you in the new year - after a CBR1000.
Cheers,
Pat...

colibriman - 6/12/04 at 09:02 PM

no worries Pat..
give me a shout whenever you like..

Avoneer - 6/12/04 at 09:14 PM

Gonna buy a roof rack - rated at 80kg for the Scenic - that should do it!
Pat...

Aloupol - 7/12/04 at 12:12 AM

Weight is not the concern, you need a REALY heavy frame to make the roof rail collapse...
Just run not too fast, aero drag can be much more than 70 kg..

James - 7/12/04 at 10:24 AM

Pat,
Just try and aoid doing this :

Don't Try This at Home
Don't Try This at Home

Cheers,
James

dern - 7/12/04 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Aloupol
Weight is not the concern, you need a REALY heavy frame to make the roof rail collapse...
Just run not too fast, aero drag can be much more than 70 kg..
I've often wondered about drag induced forces as I've found myself making progress on the motorway before remembering I had this on the roof...

...doesn't seem to cause it any problems until I put two boats on top and then you can see the boats causing the rack to twist slightly at anything over 100 (an experiment on a private road, obviously).

Mark

[Edited on 7/12/04 by dern]

Mark18 - 7/12/04 at 01:20 PM

Further confirmation:

PS. That came all the way from England like that

Mark

[Edited on 7/12/04 by Mark18]

Avoneer - 7/12/04 at 05:23 PM

Dads car is a Honda Jazz though and is all ali - book and roof rack says 35kg max on roof.
Hence buying a roof rack - int eBay great!
Pat...

phelpsa - 7/12/04 at 05:38 PM

We hired a trailer. We got it for £0 because my dad had to sort out the electrics first. It was towed by a Volvo V70 D5.

Adam

Aloupol - 7/12/04 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dern
I've often wondered about drag induced forces as I've found myself making progress on the motorway before remembering I had this on the roof...

I was wrong, the overall drag of a comon car at 90 km/h should be about 1000N.

Force x Speed = Power
Power = 25 kW
Speed = 25 m/s
Force = 25000/25 = 1000N

Only a frame won't have a big drag.

Meanwhile the frame must have completed the trip 5 or 6 times...

[Edited on 7/12/04 by Aloupol]

Avoneer - 15/12/04 at 07:27 PM

Just for info and for reference for anyone else asking the same question in the future, my chassis (as in the picture) weighed in at 70kg.
Cheers,
Pat... Rescued attachment kitcar1.jpg
Rescued attachment kitcar1.jpg