Board logo

I Made A New Carbon Fibre Part - access panel
FuryRebuild - 29/7/13 at 04:35 PM

Following on from when I made my new duratec footwell, and playing to my new found carbon fibre fetish, I have remade the steel access panel and saved 500g in the process.

There is a lot more detail about how I did this part in my blog (click me) and not all of it formats easily to the forum, so I have some of the pictures here:

Here is the original access hatch. Some of you will remember my liking for 25mm spacings.

Description
Description

Here is the back of the part - ribbed for your pleasure:

Description
Description

And here is the front of the part, all shiny.

Description
Description

Overall cost in materials - about £30 if bought in bulk. Overall time - about 6 hours for the one-off.

imp paul - 29/7/13 at 04:57 PM

top job looks realy good nice to have the skills pal well done

daveb666 - 30/7/13 at 03:14 PM

Very cool!

FuryRebuild - 30/7/13 at 03:37 PM

more to come - laminated side panel mould making tonight. brace yourself for some 3mm closed cell foam action.

coyoteboy - 30/7/13 at 06:14 PM

Jesus, there must be more weight in the total number of fasteners than the panel!

FuryRebuild - 30/7/13 at 07:26 PM

Great point. Washers and screws: 150g. Panel 190g

However, the panel is 3mm thicker than the panel where the soric hard points are, so I will need longer socket headed cap screws to be really happy with how secure it will be, so I reckon you may be right in the long run ha ha ha hhhaaaa haaaaaaaaa.

ceebmoj - 6/8/13 at 06:43 PM

What do you use to draw the vacume and how mutch does it cost to make your first part all in?

FuryRebuild - 7/8/13 at 09:33 AM

Hi ceebmoj

that's a very good question. My starter into this cost be about £700 to get going. I went for the easy composites resin infusion starter kit which includes a full on vacuum pump which is the major part of the cost. They're a great team over there and very keen on getting people moving. On top of that, I bought a lot of resin and fabric (heavy carbon, 200 gsm carbon, aramid, soric, closed cell foam) to give me a good solid push at things.

my blog here keeps all the details of the parts, how I laid them up and what the cost was for each part. this one cost me about £28 if I have my sums right. Of course, it doesn't include my time, and I'm getting quicker every part I do.

ceebmoj - 7/8/13 at 07:19 PM

The results you are getting look realy good.

Thanks for the link. The set up to get you going is not as bad as I had imagined. As I could do with making a bunch of pannels, a difuser and floor it is very tempting, however its still a bit expencive for me.

Ps still strugaling to get the spell checker going sorry.

FuryRebuild - 8/8/13 at 09:47 AM

no problem, ceebmoj. You're coming over loud and clear.

Flat panels are probably the easiest and cheapest parts to make - no moulds involved.

It may be worth while giving carbonman (on the LCB) a u2u. He has his own company making custom and repeat composite parts; it may be that he already has something you can use, or can sort you a diffuser cheaper than you could make the entry into composites for.

Also, he's a great bloke.

Cheers
Mark