Board logo

front nose piece, side members LA and LB
ChrisS - 29/8/04 at 01:07 PM

i wonder if anyone can clear up a query i have before i weld on LA and LB?

having cut them and placed them in position in a jig twice now i seem to get a bit of twist and they dont appear to be flat to the bottom and top. its quite difficult to explain, but im sure someone knows what i mean.

the reason for asking is related to the position of the front suspension bracket.
if there is twist will the 2 top brackets line up? or should they be twisted.

close inspectio n of the mcsorley plans indicates there should be some twist, but im not convinced.

many thanks.

Chris.

leto - 29/8/04 at 04:43 PM

If you look closely at the top-wive in the PDF-drawing there is a twist of 6.2 (book chassis).
The outside of LA/LB should be in line with the chassis and the brackets should line up.

Cheers!

leto - 29/8/04 at 04:44 PM

We used this template to get it right.
LC and LD were fitted before LA and LB

[Edited on 04-8-29 by leto] Rescued attachment Fixtur_LALB.jpg
Rescued attachment Fixtur_LALB.jpg

Peteff - 29/8/04 at 05:56 PM

I made the one I'm doing now 1" taller and altered the front. It made the suspension brackets easier to position Rescued attachment front.jpg
Rescued attachment front.jpg

ChrisS - 29/8/04 at 07:28 PM

Cheers for all your replies.
Actually when you clamp it all up you can actually see the twist is needed and if your cuts are acurate it all lines up as it should.

Although the mcsorley pdf i have doesnt actually show the twist very well and isnt dimensioned as having it either.

Thanks for the pdf.
Ps. Leto do you have the whole chassis pdf or just that one for the nose piece.

Mark Allanson - 29/8/04 at 07:35 PM

I fitted my front panel to the car, lightly tacked, the L tubes were not inline with the centre ine of the car so I snipped 3 of the tacks and turned the tubes with an adjustable spanner and then retacked and double checked everything.

leto - 31/8/04 at 04:40 PM

ChrisS
Drawings of complete chassis will come, in time We are still debugging (building). It will not be by the book We tinkered a little to allow bigger wheels, 15-16” and still have reasonable ride hight 4-5”

Cheers!