Board logo

New build +4 or 442 ???
Island - 26/9/11 at 06:21 PM

Hi there all you LOCOST builders.
I am new to this site, but ive thought about building one for 12 years now. I bought the book at the same time.
I am wondering about wich frame design to go with either the +4 or 442, and since i will be going with a four cylender
the +4 will be enough . Fyrst i thought about using the 442 but as someone wrote on a USA site "That thing is HUGE"
So what do you Locost builders think.

And english is not my native languish.

Daddylonglegs - 26/9/11 at 06:43 PM

I've built the +442, I'm 6' 4" and around 16st. Suits me fine so far (although I've only driven it around the yard )

A couple of piccies below to give you an idea of the size:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Wheels are 15" if that gives any better idea of the size.

JB

Ooops! almost forgot, welcome to the madhouse

[Edited on 26/9/11 by Daddylonglegs]

liam.mccaffrey - 26/9/11 at 07:17 PM

i am a BIG 6 feet 21st bloke and i fit in a standard westfield pretty comfortably

skodaman - 26/9/11 at 07:44 PM

Is that you on the avatar Liam?

omega 24 v6 - 27/9/11 at 06:24 AM

I've built a + 442 if you're near here your welcome to have a look. It is in fact for sale for anyone who is interested.

turnipfarmer - 27/9/11 at 11:28 AM

I'm only average height & build, but felt I was wearing some cars rather than sitting in them. For that reason I went for a Zero wide body which is GBS's equivalent of a +442. Feels much less claustraphobic.

Peteff - 27/9/11 at 11:57 AM

You'll need something a bit larger if you are carrying turnips in it anyway

James - 27/9/11 at 03:03 PM

I built mine 10% bigger than standard- so 4" width and a fair bit longer too.

I'm 6'2" so it does make it a bit easier to fit in and made it *much* easier to fit the engine, box and everything else.

However! For me now, it just doesn't work aesthetically. It's ok on it's own as it's in scale to a normal Locost, but parked up next to outstanding examples like Fozzie's it just look bigger, uglier and clumsy.

Next time (hah!) I would do my best to build it standard and if not, would only do a +4" and certainly wouldn't add anything else to it!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 27/9/11 by James]

mcerd1 - 27/9/11 at 03:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
Next time (hah!) I would do my best to build it standard and if not, would only do a +4" and certainly wouldn't add anything else to it!

I think wider looks good if its done right - thats why I like the dax

(and as a bonus it suits wider axles like sierra/capri etc...)

Island - 27/9/11 at 05:49 PM

Thanks for the reply guys
I am still in the planing stage finding the right donor and figuring out all the difrent configurations.
But i am leaning more to the +4 .
And i am not shure if i can register a homemade car here in Iceland, i was not able 7 years ago but a freand claims there is a loop hole there somewere , need to get that confirmed.

mcerd1 - 28/9/11 at 07:19 AM

^^ good luck with that

I was only on your island for a few days, but I really enjoyed driving there

Bare - 1/10/11 at 01:43 AM

Be Aware that the Biggest Visual failing of a LoCost (any) is that the dashboard/windshield is laughably far away from the driver. As in it has No functional reason to be so Other than the Shops Teacher who designed it's poor sense of proportion. Certainly build it big enough to fit a 'Fat Bastard'.
But at least bring the windshield dashboard within reach.. And so that schoolboys will not point and laugh at you.

[Edited on 1/10/11 by Bare]

907 - 1/10/11 at 10:28 PM

I suppose mine is a Plus 4.

The chassis is loosely based on "Uncle Ron's" book, but with four inches added down the center.

Height and length are to the book.

The upside of this is that my wide engine and fat gearbox not only fit in,
but go far enough back to give equal weight front and rear.
The Sierra dif & drive shafts also fit uncut. (IRS)

The downside is that the bodywork was hard to find ready made,
but then sheet ally was always my plan.

Cheers,
Paul G

[Edited on 1/10/11 by 907]