Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 'Closed, as this subject has been discussed at length in plenty of other threads.'
geoff shep

posted on 21/7/09 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
'Closed, as this subject has been discussed at length in plenty of other threads.'

I fully understand and appreciate (thank you Chris) individually run websites and the effort put in to run them, but wouldn't it have helped to put up an announcement about the changes to the site, contributor status and viewing posts?

Mind you, I don't suppose many people would have read it.

Fozzie

posted on 21/7/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I think you have nail on head there...

I put an announcement with a request in the Announcements section in May, about 540-odd views, about the increasing size of avatars and posted pictures, making the posts unreadable for those with less than 20" screens........

Some did take notice...the majority didn't...

Now, after 2 months of the announcement being made, it is coming into force, and peeps are moaning, saying they have gotten told off, all in the same breath as of the 'For Sale' section, as though the two went hand in hand....

So..if an announcement had been made re the For Sale section....it still would have caused the hoo-haa that it has....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

ChrisW

posted on 21/7/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
There is an announcement!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=117894

Chris

[Edited on 7/21/2009 by ChrisW]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Antnicuk

posted on 21/7/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
just testing to see if my avatar is too big.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

Antnicuk

posted on 21/7/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
obviously not looks like i have missed a lot over the last few days

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

MikeR

posted on 21/7/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
is there an option to post an announcement and email the user base?

I appreciate this is the path that ends up with announcement, email, force confirmation with next log in, banners at all kit car shows, sponsored cars, personal visit to everyone's house etc

(i'll help by doing the American homes visits in the autumn for cost - minimum hotel I'll accept is 4*)

speedyxjs

posted on 21/7/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk
obviously not looks like i have missed a lot over the last few days

Understatement

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

blakep82

posted on 21/7/09 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
have a look at this forum here http://trance.nu/v4/
ok, the subject is not to everyones taste, but its got some interesting features...

photos, if you post a HUGE photo, it automatically resizes it (i don't know how) to a reasonable size. seems to work for jpgs and gifs. if you click on the photo a new window opens up where it displays it actual size.
not sure how its done, but could maybe be written into this site?
theres no photo archive on trance.nu, so all pictures are linked. might be worth looking into, so avatars are automatically resized to the allowed size? photos posted in threads are automatically reduced to a reasonable size.

mods, theres a thread on here saying it might be worth making a few more mods, find the other thread for more info, nothing wrong with fozzie but t.nu had about 10 mods (maybe less now, i've not been on in ages) and a lot less active users

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 21/7/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
ah, and announcements, all announcements on t.nu are sent to everyone by u2u (or PM as they call it) that way you can't miss it, as it'll flash up at the top of your screen all the time til you read it.
the problem with a annoucement thread is that if you don't think to look there, you'll never know.

last week i was away for a few days, came back, and suddenly couldn't get into some threads, thought it was an error on the site. i'd certainly never have thought to go looking for a announcement thread. i understand there is one now for the avatar size, i couldn't actually tell you where it is... (i know the link is there)

an auto u2u to everyone would make sure these were on people's screen til they read it. you can't miss the 'you have 1 new u2u message' thing, and fozzie knows how much i hate threads form someone to tell someone else they've been sent a u2u

Description
Description

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

geoff shep

posted on 21/7/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
There is an announcement!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=117894

Saw that, actually I was referring to the for sale limitations.

Fozzie

posted on 21/7/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
As the Announcements section is the first one on the forum...perhaps it would be an idea to get in the practice of having a squizz as soon as you go to the Forum page.

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

blakep82

posted on 21/7/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
might just be me, but i very rarely go to the furum page, i tend to stick with whats on the main page/new threads bit

was just an idea, don't know how hard it might be to set up a u2u thing, i'm no web designer

geoff shep

posted on 22/7/09 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
As the Announcements section is the first one on the forum...perhaps it would be an idea to get in the practice of having a squizz as soon as you go to the Forum page.

Well, I'm sorry but I still don't see any announcements about 48hr for sale posts.

Benzine

posted on 22/7/09 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
might just be me, but i very rarely go to the furum page, i tend to stick with whats on the main page/new threads bit

was just an idea, don't know how hard it might be to set up a u2u thing

^ what blakeywakey said

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.