Board logo

My Most Expensive 20 Seconds of Motorsport
lsdweb - 7/9/08 at 03:54 PM

WiscombeTree 1 - Single Seater 0 :-(

First practice on Saturday. No talent and no grip!

400 mile round journey (two cars = 800 miles).
Entry fee for two days.
New top and bottom wishbones.
Tie rod.
Rose joints.
Master cylinders. Front nose and wing.

Not cheap but I've got all the parts on the shelf so not too difficult to do. No chassis damage but plenty of damage to my ego!

The hill goes from left to right in the picture btw!

Wyn Rescued attachment wisTree1.jpg
Rescued attachment wisTree1.jpg

Volvorsport - 7/9/08 at 03:56 PM

wiscombe always looks dangerous on the vids !! how fast were you going ?

Ivan - 7/9/08 at 04:24 PM

Oh no!!! - in South African parlance "Ag Shame"

Obviously your wings aren't big enough - can't be the driver can it

One of the reasons why I restrict my fun driving to places where there aren't too many spectators - saves a lot of embarrassment.

mookaloid - 7/9/08 at 04:26 PM

ouch

Been there - done that

The worst bit isn't the repairs it's the frustration of missing out on all the fun - I feel for you mate

Cheers

Mark

zilspeed - 7/9/08 at 04:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
WiscombeTree 1 - Single Seater 0 :-(

First practice on Saturday. No talent and no grip!

400 mile round journey (two cars = 800 miles).
Entry fee for two days.
New top and bottom wishbones.
Tie rod.
Rose joints.
Master cylinders. Front nose and wing.

Not cheap but I've got all the parts on the shelf so not too difficult to do. No chassis damage but plenty of damage to my ego!

The hill goes from left to right in the picture btw!

Wyn

Saw Wiscombe on the telly last night - never been, never seen it before.
Sawbench and the esses leading into it looks particularly err 'interesting.

If it's fixable, it's not so bad I guess.

clairetoo - 7/9/08 at 04:37 PM

But look on the bright side - at least your list of replacement bit's needed didn't include any body part's

lsdweb - 7/9/08 at 05:08 PM

This was my first practice so I was only going slow - I didn't even bother turning on the data logger or camera. I was at half throttle in second so about 40 ish. It was a bit light at the rear coming through the gate. I touched the throttle and it just spun through 90 degrees and hit the tree head on! The guys in the paddock heard the revs rise quickly for a split second and then the bang!

When I got out of the car and took my helmet off there were loads of marshals around me and I heard a familiar voice say 'Wyn are you alright?' It was my Dad; he just happened to be at that particular corner! He was more shaken than me!

The front nose and wing was in tiny pieces and I was going to change it over the winter. I was also going to rebuild the front suspension (rose joints etc) anyway. As somebody said, I've just brought the winter rebuild forward by two days!

Wyn

[Edited on 7/9/08 by lsdweb]

Flamez - 7/9/08 at 05:13 PM

wow wyn a real bummer, lets have the full story at work on monday, glad you are alright,

me, next year, hill climbs, mmmm some thinking now going on.

COREdevelopments - 7/9/08 at 06:17 PM

oh wyn what have you done! least you weren't flat out. least the chassis is ok.
could of been alot worse. hope you get it sorted soon.

Rob

liam.mccaffrey - 7/9/08 at 06:46 PM

sorry mate, chin up

lsdweb - 7/9/08 at 07:37 PM

The damage here

I dug out the spare wishbone and top rocker tonight and had to resist stripping it all apart. Family and neighbours are saying give it up! If I'd have had the parts with me yesterday I'd have changed them and gone back out!

Wyn

davidwag - 7/9/08 at 08:14 PM

Hi,

Done Wiscombe quite a few times,but not this weekend. Looks like you'd just gone through the gate. It gets quite tricky when the weather is patchy because the lower half of the hill dries out and the bits under the trees remain wet and slippy. Gives you confidence that you've got grip only to bite you further up.
It is a very enjoyable event when it goes right though
Don't give up, thats motor sport, even in a circuit race you could crash out on the first corner. Just fix it and get out again
David

[Edited on 7/9/08 by davidwag]

lsdweb - 8/9/08 at 06:48 AM

Dave

Yes it was the first left hander in the trees. i had no grip in the lower part of the hill and expected it to be even worse through the trees. It still caught me out though!

I love Wiscombe, despite the top field being an absolute quagmire and the paddock being wet and slippy too!

I'll be back!

Wyn

TimC - 8/9/08 at 08:09 AM

Wyn, that's not exactly the luckiest car in the world is it? Sorry about the latest set-back. You just know that it will all click at some point right?

Cheers

TC

TimC - 8/9/08 at 08:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
wow wyn a real bummer, lets have the full story at work on monday, glad you are alright,

me, next year, hill climbs, mmmm some thinking now going on.

Do it Flamez - I'm thinking the same. I want to go racing but I think that will have to wait until 2010 so sprinting might be enough to scratch the itch!

lsdweb - 8/9/08 at 12:34 PM

quote:

that's not exactly the luckiest car in the world is it?

Tim. This was all about stupidity not luck!

Toprivetguns - 8/9/08 at 04:15 PM

Glad you weren't hurt !

COREdevelopments - 10/9/08 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
Glad you weren't hurt !

unlike the dumb chav in your avatar huh?? is it wrong i found it funny??

btw wyn you fixed up your ride yet?

rob

lsdweb - 10/9/08 at 09:27 PM

Rob

Broken parts removed. Wishbones in the boot of my car ready to drop off for repair / new. Should be back together again in a few weeks ready for a new nose.

Shame the season's over really!

I've done something funny to my elbow though so my wife's sending me off to have it looked at tomorrow!

COREdevelopments - 11/9/08 at 05:55 PM

not got GTI elbow have you?!!

lsdweb - 11/9/08 at 08:02 PM

quote:

GTI elbow

??

Rob. I'm an old git so you'll have to explain!