Board logo

NSSCC racing at Croft this weekend 26th & 27th Sep
Andy D - 25/9/09 at 04:48 PM

The last two rounds of the Northern Sports & Saloons are at Croft this weekend.
My son Pete will be racing in class D in his Honda Civic. He's lying joint second in class D, so it's all to play for.

Race timetable

Where has the year gone!
Anyone there, say hello.

[Edited on 26/9/09 by Andy D]

Steve PH - 25/9/09 at 05:16 PM

Wish him luck for us Andy, looking forward to seeing the videos as usual!

Steve H
Trackaction-Online

adithorp - 25/9/09 at 07:52 PM

Best of luck to Pete. Can't make it to watch as I'm going to attempt to drift the Fury at Oulton. Getting it sideways is usually quickly followed by getting it wrong so we'll have to see how it goes. Should be fun!

adrian

Andy D - 25/9/09 at 08:12 PM

Cheers Steve, Adrian.

Enjoy the BEC drifting. Will there be any video evidence?

adithorp - 25/9/09 at 09:40 PM

Probably not to protect the reputation of those involved (ie. me).

adrian

Steve PH - 26/9/09 at 04:26 AM

I'm running the driftday and we will have photos

Andy D - 26/9/09 at 07:39 PM

After the "highs" of Cadwell, getting his first class win. .. to the "lows".

Pete Quallified well, set a personal best lap time round Croft.
And, we'd finally got the vtec to work in first gear. He made a cracking start. Was right up with the Saxo, then lost it on the brakes at Tower. The car snapped into a half spin, and he'd just about got straightened up when he was whacked! The car was crabbing, with the rear right wheel mis aligned badly.
Nasty ripples in the floor by the pick up points, plus of course a well bashed in wing.
We've left the car at the circuit and are going to attempt a repair tomorrow.

The way the car suddenly went, suggests some oil on the track. Very strange.

Here's a very short video!

Steve PH - 26/9/09 at 08:31 PM

That's bad news Andy, glad to hear that he's OK at least, there was a guy taken away from Oulton today with a broken arm and a few broken ribs after a incident going into Cascades.

Still, it does look odd on the video, seemed like he spun almost as soon as he started to turn in

Hope it can be fixed.......

adithorp - 27/9/09 at 04:46 PM

Thats bad news. Hope things tun out to be better than you think.
One of the MK's was flying through ther air by all accounts at Oulton having hit the other one.

adrian

PAUL FISHER - 27/9/09 at 06:32 PM

Gutted for you,hope you get it sorted,it broke away from him very quickly,did not look like driver error,I wonder if something came loose on the rear near side,or a wheel bearing failed,Ive seen wheel bearings fail on Clio's etc with similar results to that.

Andy D - 27/9/09 at 08:06 PM

Thanks for the condolencies, I think I was feeling lower than Pete to be honest..

So, to today. We arrived at the circuit to find our car had been moved nearer to the repair gear. It was descended upon by loads of bodies, at least four fellow competitors mucked in, and we got the car from this:

to this:

Now, admittedly it doesn't look pretty, but importantly the rear wheel was now pointing somewhere near. A huge thanks to all concerned.

Race.
The Honda was in much the same position on the grid, and got another electrifying start. The vtec in first gear makes such a huge difference. Pete had decided to bed in gradually to see how the car behaved, so lost a couple of spots early on. He looked to be going OK, but then appeared to lose pace. Apparently after clipping a curb at the chicane, the car started to feel loose at the back end.
He kept the car going and picked up a 4th in class. So not total dissaster.

There'll be an eventfull vid up in the next couple of days. Pete actually bumped the Corsa off at Tower, hope he doesn't think it was deliberate. Plus an exchange of waves between Mick Starkey and Pete, after a bit of nudging, that my well positioned rear view mirror picked up well!

That's it! end of season. Was really sad shaking hands and saying farewells to folks. Wont be back till next May.. seems a long way off..

Some pics:

PAUL FISHER - 28/9/09 at 11:03 AM

Ah well,at least you have got plenty of time to repair it Andy,get them throttle bodies fitted etc,and then your Pete will be finishing in 1st again

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

Andy D - 28/9/09 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Ah well,at least you have got plenty of time to repair it Andy,get them throttle bodies fitted etc,and then your Pete will be finishing in 1st again

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

Ha! if only it were that simple Paul, Pete is fancying building it all into a CRX shell.

Have been doing a bit of measuring this morning. It would appear the two rear wheels are parrallel, but the left is toeing in and the right toeing out. Would account for the poor handling yesterday.

bigfoot4616 - 28/9/09 at 04:03 PM

sounds like you could be busy this winter then andy

eccsmk - 28/9/09 at 04:06 PM

i hope the stig is ok after that! looks like the olde honda took a good hit,

i have a funny feeling pete likes crx's
he keeps trying to tempt me into buying one.

looks like the chief mechanic has his work cut out over winter if you need anything mate please feel free to give me a shout
al the best

Andy D - 28/9/09 at 06:10 PM

quote:

if you need anything mate please feel free to give me a shout

Can you "just" build him up a race CRX and deliver it to Croft for next April / May.

Thankyou.

P.S. Will let you know what colour he wants it painting.

PAUL FISHER - 28/9/09 at 06:18 PM

He needs one of these,a mate of mine came round at the weekend to take me for a spin in this,its the same basic engine as your Pete's,but he's now fitted it with a big turbo,350+bhp and weighs just 860kgs quaife LSD etc,I was amazed how quick it was.

PAUL FISHER - 28/9/09 at 06:20 PM

And

Andy D - 28/9/09 at 06:23 PM

Is that the exhaust poking out in front of the wheel?

Turbo's no good for us, would bump him out of class D. ..and class D is where the fun is.

PAUL FISHER - 28/9/09 at 06:40 PM

Yes Andy the exhaust comes out of the front bumper,the silencer is just behind the radiator.
I think your CRX idea will be alot cheaper option,they are a very light weight and well balanced car,its going to have to be if he's going to beat that Saxo on a regular basis.

Andy D - 28/9/09 at 06:53 PM

quote:

I think your CRX idea will be alot cheaper option,they are a very light weight and well balanced car,its going to have to be if he's going to beat that Saxo on a regular basis.

I agree, but... it's my single garage and very narrow drive that makes it less appealing.

Re Saxo, he's not a million miles off the pace now. Pete's Croft fastest lap time is now down to 1:39.7

eccsmk - 29/9/09 at 04:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
quote:

if you need anything mate please feel free to give me a shout

Can you "just" build him up a race CRX and deliver it to Croft for next April / May.

Thankyou.

P.S. Will let you know what colour he wants it painting.

if you like i can build him one no problem might not be able to start until november because ive got a garage full of peugeot at the mo

paul there is a lad near me who has a very similar set up in his CRX 2 problems i have with it are
1 it soo damn noisy
2 it needs all sorts of electric limiters to stop the wheel spin
still damn good fun as a passenger tho

[Edited on 29/9/09 by eccsmk]

Andy D - 30/9/09 at 07:47 AM

^^

Final NSSCC championship results are HERE

Paul Moss (Saxo) got the overall championship win. Pete got 3rd in class D and 10th overall. I'm pleased with the result, but cant help thinking ... if only the last two races had gone better....

Cant wait till next year!

eccsmk - 30/9/09 at 07:52 AM

send my congrats to Pete please

and well done to his mechanic !!

Andy D - 30/9/09 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by eccsmk
send my congrats to Pete please

and well done to his mechanic !!

Thanks Martin, will do. I think we should have "mechanic DAD" written on the car.

Just removed the tank this morning to get a proper look at the damage. I drained over10 litres of fuel out, there was probably enough to do another race! Got to get the fuel situation sorted for next year.

PAUL FISHER - 30/9/09 at 11:12 AM

Well done,thats a great result Andy,in his first year of racing too

bigfoot4616 - 30/9/09 at 11:23 AM

quote:

I drained over10 litres of fuel out

chuck it in the westy towards the next trackday

overall a good result considering how things went at the weekend

Andy D - 30/9/09 at 02:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
quote:

I drained over10 litres of fuel out

chuck it in the westy towards the next trackday

overall a good result considering how things went at the weekend

I've tipped it in the Toyota, may be a while to the next trackday..

Here's a vid. Andy Robinson in a class D Fiesta XR2. 1.6 CVH engine, doing 1:37s round Croft. It must be a pretty special CVH, and sounds like some good gearbox ratios.

Croft in the 1;37s

Pete's going to have to find another couple of seconds to get on that pace.

He's also put up a vid, same meeting in his Pug 306. Mixing it with Porsches

bigfoot4616 - 30/9/09 at 04:37 PM

that 306 looks to corner well.

the winter mods should go a long way towards making up that time difference

PAUL FISHER - 30/9/09 at 06:50 PM

Must be a very special CVH in that XR2 to get round croft in 1m37s,I had one of those when they were new,and it did not go like that
Nice bit of driving from the 306 driver,it must have a quality LSD fitted to it the traction he was getting out of the corners,you could see the torque feeding back through the steering wheel

Andy D - 30/9/09 at 07:55 PM

quote:

Nice bit of driving from the 306 driver,it must have a quality LSD fitted to it the traction he was getting out of the corners,you could see the torque feeding back through the steering wheel

Yep, it sure was kicking back a bit!

Back to the Hooooooonda. Pete's last race of the season, another good start, but sadly the car handling deteriorated as the race progressed. Little bit of dodgem driving in this one too unfortunately.

Round 14 Part one

Part two

PAUL FISHER - 30/9/09 at 11:16 PM

A perfect PIT maneuver at the end of the first video,California Highway Patrol would have been more than happy with that one,I thought I was watching Police Camera Action for a minute there.
I dont think that beetle was helping your Pete,slowing him down through the corners

Andy D - 2/10/09 at 08:26 AM

There's a great photo on Ian Hardy's website. David Swales' Fiesta shedding it's rear wheel!

http://www.ianhardy.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=99880

PAUL FISHER - 2/10/09 at 04:06 PM

Looks like you can see his last wheel nut coming off in this shot Rescued attachment ddmc_sept_2009_2881.jpg
Rescued attachment ddmc_sept_2009_2881.jpg