Board logo

Oil cooler location
macc man - 27/3/11 at 10:30 AM

Has anyone fitted an oil cooler to their engine. I have a Zetec engined locost and have had an oil cooler hanging about for a while. Is it best to fit in front of rad or will it be ok behind it. I have more room behind due to angle of the rad. I do have problems with the car getting too hot and thought it may help cool things down a bit. Thanks for any advice.

tul214 - 27/3/11 at 11:30 AM

I fitted one to my Tiger. I was running a Toyota lump though;

Description
Description

coozer - 27/3/11 at 01:01 PM

Zetecs don't need oil coolers. Oil temp in a zetec is high, around the 100c mark so cooling leads to engine failure.

scutter - 27/3/11 at 01:11 PM

My ST lump has one in front of the rad, I've a 93 deg thermostat fitted, I don't think it opened at Castle Combe the other day. Not need really and only good for gaining some capacity back.

ATB Dan.

norfolkluego - 27/3/11 at 06:19 PM

I fitted mine behind the radiator as I was using it to keep up the volume (chopped sump) and wanted to limit the cooling

macc man - 27/3/11 at 06:50 PM

Thanks for the replies, I think I will mount it behind the rad, as said it will increase oil volume and if I fit a stat it will not over cool
engine.

franky - 27/3/11 at 06:57 PM

behind the rad as the oil temp is normally higher than the water temp. Fit a stat and you can't go wrong. What is the operating oil temp normally on a zetec?

scutter - 27/3/11 at 07:39 PM

Mocal can do a stat witha 92 deg opening temp.