Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Highways Agency clueless or what?
Pants On Fire

posted on 15/3/07 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Highways Agency clueless or what?

I was in Birmingham last night at a fooball match which ended at 9:30 pm.

It took 1 hour to exit a car park and join the stationary queue of traffic on the A38 Aston Expressway, the M6 Southbound was also at a standstill.

I got home to Berkshire at 1:30 this morning, a journey that normally takes me c90 minutes. Turns out the Highways agency closed 2 lanes of the M6 Southbound the night that 2 midlands teams played teams from London. The police and FA manage to arrange KO times in these situations but it seems no one talks to the people who manage our roads

stevec

posted on 15/3/07 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Awful.
But wait until you go to a major event at the Ricoh in Coventry,Its a total farce getting in and out,
Steve.

twybrow

posted on 15/3/07 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I send the Ricoh bit - we went to see the Chilli Peppers last yera (awesome concert by the way) and the traffic was unbeleivable. It took one of my friends 4 hours to get home 50 miles!
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 15/3/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
:)

Rescued attachment pointlessSign_430x271.jpg
Rescued attachment pointlessSign_430x271.jpg

chockymonster

posted on 15/3/07 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, but was it a happy journey home or a miserable one?

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pants On Fire

posted on 15/3/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Miserable. The diving, cheating, play acting cockneys won.
Richard Quinn

posted on 15/3/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
That'll be the same night that the M6 northbound a bit further up (Staffs/Cheshire) had the gantries saying that there was an accident and then the next ones showing lanes one and two closed. Obviously, it was a "bit" slow going as the entire contents of the northbound carriageway squeezed into one lane. This caused a tailback of quite a few miles and after a while it dawned on people (as we approached another gantry that said "end" ) that the lanes weren't closed at all

Jon Ison

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmmmmmmmm,

This was discussed a while ago and I was told that the signs never stay on ?

Strange today on the M1 they showed two lanes closed, incident ahead etc..... only too pass bugger all then an end sign.

Still have no confidence in these matrix signs.

Guinness

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Arrrghhhh! Don't get me started on this fusking govt and their minions!

Between my office and Newcastle is a stretch of dual carriageway, about 1 mile long, with a roundabout at each end. For about 12 weeks it has been down to one lane in each direction due to roadworks.

Well I say roadworks, 4 lads have been installing a central barrier, Armco style. I drive up and down this road at different times, never more than 4 lads on the job. It's been painfully slow and delayed 1,000's of drivers on a daily basis.

But at last they have finished. Whooo hoooo!

But hang on a minute the cones are still out, the lane that is closed has changed, rather than being lane 2 closed it's now lane 1?

That's right another bunch of contractors are putting in a row of streetlights down the sides of the road. And digging up the verges and wiring them up, and putting the lights in, and putting the junction boxes in etc etc. Sign says "We apologise for any delays".

So we have gone from having a road which had a grass verge and a hedge at either side and a 20 ft wide central grass verge to what?

A dual carriageway with lights at the sides and a central rail to prevent crossover accidents. Why not put the lights in the middle, with a barrier either side? One set of roadworks? One contract? No danger of you spinning off and side swiping a lampost.

Arrrrgggghhh!!

Mike

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote

Why not put the lights in the middle, with a barrier either side? One set of roadworks? One contract? No danger of you spinning off and side swiping a lampost.

Arrrrgggghhh!!

Mike

Because you would have to close lane 2 on both carriageways in order to carry out any maintenance on the lamp columns.

Also, depending on the speed of the road you'll find that the verge columns will either have protection, have adequate set-back, or be very impact friendly.

and yes, I do work for the Highways Agency! Only in the South West though, not your part of the world.

Rich

chockymonster

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants On Fire
Miserable. The diving, cheating, play acting cockneys won.

Would that be the diving cheating premiership cockneys?

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pants On Fire

posted on 19/3/07 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Indeed.

It starts at the manager and runs through the team.

Sad really, because they are probably the best footballing team in Europe.

[Edited on 19/3/07 by Pants On Fire]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.