Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving in the rain
miegru

posted on 9/3/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Driving in the rain

Was driving on the highway today an got caught in some heavy rain.

Somehow a soaking wet highway and a seven scare me. Driving slowly on the slow lane I worry for aquaplanning because of the worn tarmac. Driving on the fast lane all trucks on the left lane seem to spray me directly in the face. Visibility is low due to the low seating and the minimum speed to feel safe from traffic coming from behind is much higher than I feel comfortable to drive in in these conditions.

Result; I take the nearest tankstation / exit and wait for the rain to stop or take a backroad.

Any other tips? What are you all doing when caught in heavy rain?

Rgrds,

Mies.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
are you sure you don't want a Corsa...

cheeky I know but you sound like you need practice in the wet.

[Edited on 9/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 9/3/07 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean mate

It's a bit scary and visibility goes right down. Having a screen makes it worse as there is just as much water on the inside as on the outside.

I think you have the answer already

Of course you could always fit full weather gear....

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mookaloid

posted on 9/3/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
are you sure you don't want a Corsa...

cheeky I know but you sound like you need practice in the wet.

Practice doesn't really help if can't see anything......

speedyxjs

posted on 9/3/07 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cant you just learn to 'use the force'?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Use water repellent on the glass, faster you go clearer it gets
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 9/3/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Use water repellent on the glass, faster you go clearer it gets

Have you ever driven a seven in heavy rain on a motorway?

procomp

posted on 9/3/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi spare a thought for the lads racing in the wet/snow on yoko 048 tyres at speeds approaching 130 mph.

The thing that scares you after the race is that you realise that with the adrrenelin flowing through the vaines you are still trying to go quicker and get past the guy in front .

cheers matt

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 9/3/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
i haven't as i am yet to pass sva or finish building anyway what about the sevens without windscreens! how about pull over and put on all possible lights (hazards fog tail brakes main beam!) sit hope wait and pray the rain goes and nothing hits you! possibly not a good option, get off the motorway and get undercover has got to be the best option. Or dont drive in the first place without checking a weather forcast!

[Edited on 9/3/07 by iscmatt]

Surrey Dave

posted on 9/3/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Its not good!

My scaryest moments have been in the rain , I have a screen and wipers + hood but the moisture inside is very bad and I cant wipe the screen easily with my harness on.

Got caught on the motorway in a downpour , the rain + lorry spray gives zero visibility , wanted to stop on the hard shoulder but could not risk being hit from behind so , followed back lights , really scary .

The answer is try not to get caught...

[Edited on 9/3/07 by Surrey Dave]

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/07 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote

No but I have done so in my JBA Falcon (very similar layout) in torrential rain with the hood down and no side screens. Not particularly pleasant but I don't mind. Have three wipers in that and a good demister kept it at 80 without bother all the way down to Edinburgh. Then again I drive with the hood down in the snow and my buggy with no weather gear at all, in the rain but that’s just me…

Surrey Dave

posted on 9/3/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
!

Rescued attachment locost newlands enh sml.jpg
Rescued attachment locost newlands enh sml.jpg

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/07 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
oh having a think about the falcon, what I do have is a stainless metal lip that runs along the top of the windscreen. This is actually how the Falcons hood attaches to the windscreen and it is sealed to the frame.

In the rain this stops the water from coming over the top and channels it to the edge much like a gutter. It makes a huge difference to keeping the inside of the glass dry enough for the demist to cope.

David Jenkins

posted on 9/3/07 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've driven in heavy rain, along Suffolk's finest 'B' roads. I have no screen, but was wearing full waterproofs and a bike helmet. After a mile or so I wasn't bothered by the rain (I'd ridden a motorbike in heavy downpours many times before) as I'd reconciled myself to being wet.

The car was lively, but OK as long as I kept a light foot on the accelerator - apart from when I was playing silly beggars on an empty bit of road! (I wanted to see how hard it was to make it break away - not hard at all... )

David

Jon Ison

posted on 9/3/07 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I find driving in the rain better than been stuck in traffic in the rain, whilst on the move its not too bad, been caught on the M1 in a thunderstorm then in standing traffic wasn't fun, its like sitting in a bath with three showers on, fully clothed, oh and the people in tintops like too have a good larf at your predicament too.........
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Their just jealous!

Give them the one finger salute

SeaBass

posted on 9/3/07 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Rain... Pah. What Rain??

mookaloid

posted on 9/3/07 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

No but I have done so in my JBA Falcon (very similar layout) in torrential rain with the hood down and no side screens. Not particularly pleasant but I don't mind. Have three wipers in that and a good demister kept it at 80 without bother all the way down to Edinburgh. Then again I drive with the hood down in the snow and my buggy with no weather gear at all, in the rain but that’s just me…

The JBA Falcon seems to have nice wings which stop the front wheels spraying gallons of water in your face - not the same at all Rescued attachment im1er.jpg
Rescued attachment im1er.jpg

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
true I forgot about the wings, I love that picture above. Then again your really asking to get soaked with cycle wings...
BenB

posted on 9/3/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Drove a Fury (full weather gear) up the motorway with some gusto during a tour of Ireland, unfortunately the indicators had broken (water in the wiring) so I had to have both windows down for handsignals!!! Lots of spray entered the vehicle (at least misting wasn't a problem).
Also hit a great big patch of standing water whilst backing off the throttle whilst simultaneously turning in after an overtaking manoeuver... Exciting to say the least (20-30 degree sideways slide @ 70ish mph....

MkIndy7

posted on 9/3/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh the Aero screens are a nightmare in the Rain...

I got caught out on the way back from Scotland coming down the A1 last year.

There were dead flies turning to mush on the Screen making it impossible to see through, fortunately I had my helmet on so I had to either push myself up in the seat so I could see clear over the screen or look out of the side of the car.

Although at a magical 80mph all the mushed flies were forced off of the aero screen and the rain seemed to have less of an effect!

rusty nuts

posted on 9/3/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Find it worse at 20- 30mph in town , going round corners you get a face full of spray. At least at speed you dont normally turn the steering so far that the back end of the front wheels is aimed at your face. Rain X is good for keeping both sides of the screen clear .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.