Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Take it easy? Mmmm!!!
myke pocock

posted on 29/8/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Take it easy? Mmmm!!!

Take it easy for the first few miles was the advice on here. On the way to the Hartside meet (nice to meet up with you guys) damp and greasy road, tight 90 left and the back end starts to shift so back off a bit then shortly a medium 65 right. Bit of welly and it snapps round, smacks the bank and dives of to the right ending up ,with the back end well into a ditch and no chance to get out. Luckily two lads in a Corsa sorted me out. Stress cracks in the gell coat on both sides of the nose and its pushed up slightly on its mount, dented rim and grass caught between the rim and the tyre (looks like it needs a shave!!) and a scratched number plate. Who's a DIPSTICK then!!! TAKE IT EASY FOR THE FIRST FEW MILES!!!!!!
RichardK

posted on 29/8/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Whoops live and learn eh?

Glad you're ok though...

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 29/8/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 29/8/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 29/8/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Every summer we get similar reports...

These cars can BITE in the wrong circumstances - they're so different from modern FWD cars.

F'rinstance - you say the back end started to go, so you backed off slightly - that's a FWD recovery technique that would save you in a modern car. Unfortunately, in a RWD car you'll take a lot of the weight off the rear wheels, which means that there's a good chance that the rear will try to overtake the front. The proper RWD technique is to get the speed sorted before the curve, and either steady speed or acceleration through it, to maintain weight on the rear. If the turn is too slippery - you were going in too fast.

Not trying to preach - I'm really glad that you got off relatively lightly.

coozer

posted on 29/8/09 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Your right, take it easy... pass your SVA then put 600 miles on it over 4 weeks then a sunny (wet) morning WHACK! Rescued attachment P8170008.JPG
Rescued attachment P8170008.JPG

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

james h

posted on 29/8/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
It was a brilliant run out today, am pretty sure everyone got the back end around - the road up to hartside was very very greasy!

I'll have to take it easy when I get my reg documents through next week - makes you realise how susceptible these cars are to the road conditions. Especially as I am not used to a car with more power than a blender...

btw I thought if the back end came around on a fwd car you would put the power down to pull you straight? Lifting off gives lift off oversteer as my brother found out in his nova

hobzy

posted on 29/8/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, was doing less than 30 when this happened. Happens to the best of us and often nowt you could have done...

Link instead of pic to save BW - soz fozzie

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/hobzy7567/Kit%20car/IMG_2958.jpg

Sounds like you came out ok. Good luck with the repairs...

[Edited on 30/8/09 by hobzy]

BenB

posted on 29/8/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. Appears you applied the FWD correction to a RWD car!!! Can happen to anyone. Done it myself a few times....

Once the back end goes on a RWD car you're in for some tricky times. Back off and you crash, put too much power to the rear and the tyres spin and off you go.

Ninehigh

posted on 29/8/09 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Only ever had the back end go once, and opposite lock didn't do much lol...

I found it's mostly understeer, and braking cures it

Hey if you don't have the occasional off you're not pushing it hard enough

Fozzie

posted on 29/8/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Can you please REDUCE the pictures....

Thank you,
Fozzie...(Admin)

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

miikae

posted on 29/8/09 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I often had my old 944 fish tailing in the winter months upon applying power after turning off the main road onto our country lane which was often covered in ice , the only way to straighten it up was to de-clutch , as trying to drive out of it only made the fish tailing worse and i didnt fancy testing out the water depth in ditches either side of the road.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 29/8/09 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I find that if the back starts to go, it is usually due to too much throttle and by backing off to neutral throttle (not lift off) I can stabilise the car's balance. Make sure you wear an old pair of shoes with the thinnest soles you can find (holes in the soles are good!) or ideally racing boots when you drive because it helps the feel of the throttle. Also, make sure your seat is adjusted correctly as this can affect your steering responses as much as giving better pedal feel.

It's also a good idea to find some private ground (or a deserted piece of tarmac somewhere) and get used to the handling of the car by provoking spins and slides. It's the best way to learn how to control the car short of a commercial training course. I also find snow on he ground an excellent opportunity to learn car handling at vastly reduced speeds. The same things happen but at 1/4 of the speed. Bloody good fun too!!

Glad the damage is not too bad by the way!
Craig.

zilspeed

posted on 30/8/09 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
The aBove is all true.

But....

There are situations where it is not an excess of throttle which causes the back end to come round.

If you're braking heavily and have the car in the right gear to scream out of the corner, the unpowered wheels really want to slow down due to engine braking, bu not necessarily at the same speed as you are applying braking to the front.

This Spin was not caused by a heavy right foot, but by unequal rates of braking being applied to the wheels via the gear selected and the amount of braking being applied.

[Edited on 30/8/09 by zilspeed]

wilkingj

posted on 30/8/09 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Its not just the "taking it easy" bit, Maybee you WERE taking it easier. However, were you "READING" the road and its surface as well?

You need to keep your eyes on the road, its surface, the bumps, holes, cambers (expecially the cambers on corners).
Its not something we tend to do in a normal car and on a normal road.

I find that I am knackerd after going out in the Viento. I concentrate so much on everything out there, it just tires me out!.
However, as everyone says, these cars can bite, so you need to learn how your car drives, and pay EXTRA attention to everything around you.

At least you appear to have come off not too badly, and no one was seriously hurt.
Chin up, sounds like its a lesson learned, and it will help to improve your driving and experience. Remember it COULD have been a LOT WORSE!

An old saying:
When we dont get what we want, we do get some experience

Take care, and get the car back on the road, get in it and drive again with your new found experience to guide you, and keep pluggin the message to the new drivers.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

BenB

posted on 30/8/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410

It's also a good idea to find some private ground (or a deserted piece of tarmac somewhere) and get used to the handling of the car by provoking spins and slides. It's the best way to learn how to control the car short of a commercial training course. I also find snow on he ground an excellent opportunity to learn car handling at vastly reduced speeds. The same things happen but at 1/4 of the speed. Bloody good fun too!!

Glad the damage is not too bad by the way!
Craig.

I'd certainly agree re testing on private roads. At the trackday I went to up in Cambs they make a large "freestyle" area where you could do doughnuts etc. It was right at the end of the slalom timing run so you could hoon in there at high speed and test various slides / generally push beyond the limit etc. Very interesting.....

bigfoot4616

posted on 30/8/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james h
It was a brilliant run out today, am pretty sure everyone got the back end around - the road up to hartside was very very greasy!

i did provoke mine into doing it a couple of times on that section

quote:
Originally posted by james h
btw I thought if the back end came around on a fwd car you would put the power down to pull you straight? Lifting off gives lift off oversteer as my brother found out in his nova

correct. never lift of if the back steps out on a FWD car
bit of opposite lock and easing of the throttle a little seems to sort my striker out

Ninehigh

posted on 5/9/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking of a rule for this, I'd like your opinions:

"If you can do it in a tintop you can do it in your seven."

Of course that's not going to apply so much if your tintop is a DB9 or ST220...

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think ex bikers make better 7 drivers (even if it was back in the 70's!)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

craig1410

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

Ex go-kart drivers maybe...

miikae

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

I'll go with that as i have been a biker since the mid 60s and i have still got my trusty 1965 T100ss, got my spills over with then albiet the pop didnt help but the roads where clear at night then.

Mike

[Edited on 5-9-2009 by miikae]

If it can be done it i will be done .

rusty nuts

posted on 5/9/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Morris Minor pick up drivers perhaps, especially those fitted with cross ply tyres

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.