Board logo

Need a hat...
David Jenkins - 8/6/10 at 08:06 AM

This is the first summer that I've driven my Locost with a windscreen - so I'm no longer wearing a full-face helmet... and my hair-line is - erm - receding...

Went out last week for an hour or so, and got a bit fried.

So what sort of hats do people wear when driving?

coozer - 8/6/10 at 08:15 AM

Wool one for me. One of then insulate ones. Only problem is it lifts off my right ear at speed and drops down over my eyes if I look sideways Gets a laugh though

philw - 8/6/10 at 08:21 AM

I use a baseball cap with no problems.

Ivan - 8/6/10 at 08:31 AM

^^ Dito - excepting in strong cross winds

David Jenkins - 8/6/10 at 09:30 AM

I've seen someone in a Locost with a yachting version of a baseball cap - it had a bit of spiral cord leading to a crocodile clip that you fastened to your jacket!

philw - 8/6/10 at 09:42 AM

I don't think there any need, my hat stays on at 130 with no problems at all.

blakep82 - 8/6/10 at 09:49 AM

roof + winscreen = problem solved

ReMan - 8/6/10 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
This is the first summer that I've driven my Locost with a windscreen - so I'm no longer wearing a full-face helmet... and my hair-line is - erm - receding...

Went out last week for an hour or so, and got a bit fried.

So what sort of hats do people wear when driving?

Good question, I was only thinking this myself at the weekend.
My difference is that I have no full screen, just my flyscreen.
I'm happy to not wear a helmet depending on where I am going and what roads/driving style I adopt, but a baseball cap exits at about 40mph, so I need something that will stay on up to the legal limit, that is not a wooly hat on the hottest day of the year!
Any ideas, sory for the minor hijack?

dinosaurjuice - 8/6/10 at 11:09 AM

me being young and trendy can get away with a peruvian ski hat

BenB - 8/6/10 at 11:29 AM

I use a baseball cap but as said they can come off at speed (lost my first one on the way to SVA ).

Answer is to tie a bit of string round the strap at the back of the hat and tie the other end to the roll bar.

well it is Locostbuilders

jimgiblett - 8/6/10 at 11:34 AM

In the winter or colder days a beanie (that doesnt have to be turned up)

In the summer a bandana does the job.

- Jim

A1 - 8/6/10 at 11:40 AM

turban...

David Jenkins - 8/6/10 at 11:48 AM

There's always this...

Danozeman - 8/6/10 at 11:48 AM

quote:

Only problem is it lifts off my right ear at speed and drops down over my eyes if I look sideways Gets a laugh though

Woolie for me but only at fastish speeds. Mine does the above. With wind deflectors you may find the need reduces.

Bluemoon - 8/6/10 at 12:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I use a baseball cap but as said they can come off at speed (lost my first one on the way to SVA ).

Answer is to tie a bit of string round the strap at the back of the hat and tie the other end to the roll bar.

well it is Locostbuilders

I like it. Might invest in a bit of string (before I run out of baseball caps!).. Actually only nearly lost one, managed to catch it!!

Dan

adithorp - 8/6/10 at 12:18 PM

I use a baseball cap but I've got a lanyard (those that you get to put a pass on at events) looped through the adjuster strap and around the seat belt.

adrian

bi22le - 8/6/10 at 12:27 PM

A thick beanie for cold weather with sun glasses.
A thin beanie for warm weather with sun glasses.

Sorted!

welderman - 8/6/10 at 12:31 PM

Tommyp wears this his cosak hat

[Edited on 8/6/10 by welderman] Rescued attachment stoneleigh 2010 iphone 131.jpg
Rescued attachment stoneleigh 2010 iphone 131.jpg

Vindi_andy - 8/6/10 at 02:58 PM

Not locost but works well something called a "BUFF". Can be work of of several ways.

Not thinning myself but i still get a burnt head when out for a long time with no covering. Dont have wind deflectors so baseball cap is out, first time i tried nearly quite literally. fortunately I had seen the lanyard to rollbar on someone else so didnt loose the cap totally

I have the original buff which work in summer and cooler days.

http://buffwear.co.uk

[Edited on 8/6/10 by Vindi_andy]

David Jenkins - 8/6/10 at 03:33 PM

Trouble is, at 57 anything too 'trendy' just makes me look like a pretentious pillock!

And don't say that I can do that without the benefit of a hat...

l0rd - 8/6/10 at 03:42 PM

Plenty of choices

For the Summer

For winter

For nights out

Mark Allanson - 8/6/10 at 04:57 PM

I know it looks silly, but I am too old to care Rescued attachment Silly Hat.jpg
Rescued attachment Silly Hat.jpg

Peteff - 8/6/10 at 05:11 PM

How can a hat like that have "serious" written on the front. The picture made me think of something, ah there it is.

Confused but excited. - 8/6/10 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Trouble is, at 57 anything too 'trendy' just makes me look like a pretentious pillock!

And don't say that I can do that without the benefit of a hat...

You could try a deerstalker then. Keeps your ears warm and ties under your chin.